Part 2 - Chapter 18

Weeks turned into months. It's already February and it's growing closer to my due date. Only a few months ago I was told that I was having twins. We were going to have two babies to take care of instead of one. This was going to be a challenge and an adventure, but it's one that I'm willing to take on.

Diane was kind enough to build us a house of our own on the property. It only took a couple months for it to be built and completed. We had already furnished it. It was our home. It felt like home. It's February 15th.

The night is closing in. As we were watching television, I felt my water break. The clock read 7:54. "Luca, we need to get to the hospital," I stated out of nowhere.

"Okay, I'll go start the truck and I'll carry you there. I'll be right back," he said calmly.

I waited patiently on the couch. I kept a steady rhythm with my breathing. Within minutes, Luca was already back in the house. He picked me up in his arms and carried me to the truck. "Almost there. Just a little bit further. Then we'll drive, not going over the speed limit, to the hospital," Luca told me in a calm voice.

We finally got into the truck and then drove off. My hands were wrapped around and grasping my stomach. Just as I thought we were making good time, we got stuck in the city traffic. A car accident involving six cars, a truck, and an eighteen wheeler. Traffic was backed up for about three miles. As we sitting in the stand still traffic, one of the babies drop. I could breathe better since I didn't have so much pressure pressing against my lungs. When I looked at the clock, it read 8:34.

I was worried that we weren't going to make it in time. I was in labor for a little over half an hour. My contractions haven't gotten that bad yet, but I could feel them. "How are you holding up Lex?" Luca asked a bit concerned now.

"I'm doing okay. I just hope we make it to the hospital in time," I replied still trying to maintain my breathing.

Minutes turned into hours. The clock read 9:00, 10:00, and 11:30. We didn't move that much over that long course of time. I guess that crash was worse than we anticipated. "How are you doing?" Luca asked sounding more anxious.

"I don't know. The contractions are about five to ten minutes apart" I replied.

Luca was nearly grinding his teeth. We were both extremely nervous. If we have to sit here in this damn traffic any longer, I'm going to be delivering my children in the car. The hours passed by like a gust of wind blew them away. 12:04, 1:15, and 2:30. My contractions were extremely close together and I couldn't wait any longer. "Luca, just pull over to the side of the road. We're not going to make it to the hospital in time," I said with a cold sweat covering my entire face and tears nearly falling from my tear ducts.

"Okay," he said nearly ready to press down on the horn.

He pulled the truck into the breakdown lane. When he parked it, we were right next to the crash. There were eight cars crushed and piled on top of each other, two F150s with smashed hoods and windshields, and the eighteen wheeler was on its side. Glass was in numerous shards and scattered across the pavement. Luca grabbed some horse blankets and an old saddle he was planning to auction off from the bed of the truck. The saddle was placed behind my head and some blankets cushioned it like a pillow for my head to rest on. "Ready?" Luca asked.

"As I'll ever be," I replied.

After a couple minutes, a cry broke the air. Luca was laughing and crying with joy. "It's a girl! We have a little girl!" Luca exclaimed.

I was crying with joy with him. Seeing her in his arms was a dream come true. He wrapped her in one of the blankets to keep her warm. Pain consumed my body. Five more minutes passed. Another cry broke the air. Its cry echoed through the carrying wind. Her cry. Twin girls. They were beautiful. "What are we going to name them?" Luca asked after handing them to me.

I looked into their eyes. One had blond hair with transparent diamond blue eyes. The other had dark brown hair, almost appearing as black, with Luca's emerald green eyes. "How about Dylan and Brandi? Those names seem to fit them well," I said as I smiled endearingly at my daughters.

"I like it, but which name goes with which daughter?" Luca asked.

"Dylan is our little blue eyed girl and Brandi is our little green eye girl just like her daddy," I said smiling.

We asked one of the em tees to give a quick checkup on myself and the girls. "You did a good job Luca delivering your girls. They appeared to be fine. You are now proud new parents of two beautiful girls," the man said with a hint of gleam in his eyes expressing his joy and congrats for us.