Chapter 4

I slept the whole ride there and Tucker sat silently, staring out the window with a bleak expression painted poorly upon his face. Ms. Schwaine had the radio playing softly in the background and it was quite soothing. For the first time in my life, I began to feel free. I don't know how long we were in the car, but it seemed like forever. My legs began cramping up from staying in the same position for a long period of time. "We're here," Ms. Schwaine said.

Her voice startled me from the long silence. I woke up to gaze upon the most beautiful house I've ever seen in town. I was speechless from the gorgeous surroundings. The horses were grazing in the pastures, the kids were playing in the yard, and Mr. Schwaine was sitting on the front porch watching them. Ground keepers were tending to the gardens and repainting the house. It was almost like a castle to Tucker's eyes.

She slowly applied pressure on the brakes and then the car came to a stop. Mr. Schwaine stood up from the porch swing and walked casually down the front steps. The kids came running after him to greet their mother and us. They laughed and smiled. They don't know how lucky they are compared to other kids out in the world. They live in a mansion and they don't have to worry about if they will get their next meal. Their family was rich and they lived a life of luxury. "Mommy!"

"Hello my dears. Hello darling, how was your day?" Ms. Schwaine asked after giving a kiss to each of her children and her husband.

"It was fine, but long. The boys went for a trail ride after lunch. Pia had her afternoon nap. Then I sat in front of my computer trying to figure out what should happen next in my story," he replied in a monotone.

Wow, he just explained the whole day within a full two minutes. Mr. Schwaine looked over Diane's shoulder and glared at Tucker and I. I stood in silence, waiting for him to say something, with my heart racing since I became nervous. I didn't trust him and I looked away from his gaze. Something about him told me that he was up to no good.

"You must be Lexis and Tucker Springer. Pleasure to meet you both," Mr. Schwaine said as he held out his hand.

"Like wise," I replied.

All of us walked towards the house and entered. "Lily, can you show Lexis and Tucker to their rooms please? We want them to feel comfortable and at home here. Our home is their home," Ms. Schwaine said.

"Right away madam," Lily replied in her sweet and quiet voice.

Tucker and I followed Lily upstairs and she led us down a corridor that was a bit further away from the rest of the family. It was a nice place. "This is your room, Mr. Springer. I hope it is to your liking," Lily directed.

"Thank-you Lily," Tucker said in a gentleman manner.

Then Lily and I walked further down the hall to another door. "This is your room, Miss Springer," Lily pointed to the door that stood menacingly before us.

"Thank-you," I replied.

I slowly turned the knob and the door creaked open. I walked in cautiously and I stood there in awe. I had a balcony that over looked the pastures. I found my guitar and walked out onto the balcony. I began to play and sing along to the melody. I didn't hear Mr. Schwaine knock and enter. He stood in the doorway and watched me from a short distance.

"That's very lovely," he said.

I was startle by his presence. How long was he standing there? Is he stalking me or something? "Thanks. What do you want?"

He walked over to me and took my hand in his. He leaned in, forcefully applied his lips upon mine, and ran his hands up my shirt. I tried to get him off of me, but no matter what I did, he never stopped. "Please, you're hurting me!" I was crying out in complete fear.

He didn't stop and then he picked me up. He walked over to my bed as he carried me in his arms. He placed me on the bed as he looked out the door to check the hallway for anyone. He shut the door and locked it. I was scared. What was he going to do? What was going to do to me? He began to strip himself of his clothes. I looked away from him. I couldn't stand the vulgar sight that stood before me. He strolled over, stark naked I might add, and he began to doff myself of my clothing. I struggled in his muscular grip, but all he did was just continuing to rip my clothes from my petite figure.

"Please Mr. Schwaine, don't do this. What about your wife and children?" I pleaded to him, still trying to get out of Mr. Schwaine's forceful hold.

"Please, call me Tony. Don't worry sweetheart, this isn't going to hurt," he said.

He pulled the covers over our divested bodies and I cried like a sniveling child. He was raping me and I couldn't scream out for help. Within minutes, it was over. Mr. Schwaine pulled his clothes back on and exited my room. There I was, alone in my room, a wreck, and cried silently. I slowly got up and pulled on new clothes. I was ready to leave this place. I was better off at my house rather than here.

I wiped away my tears and left my room. I walked quietly down the stairwell and met up with Ms. Schwaine. "Is it alright if I ride one of your horses?" I asked, still shaken up from what just happened.

"Sure you can. Antonio will help you," Ms. Schwaine said with a grin across her face.

"Thanks, Ms. Schwaine," I said.

"Please, call me Diane, Lexis," she replied.

I smiled at her in thanks and walked out the front door. I was wearing a pair of my favorite jeans with a red plaid flannel and white tank top underneath. For once, I looked like I was someone else. I casually walked towards the barn and watched the children playing in the front yard. I wasn't watching where I was going and I accidentally bumped into one of the workers. "I'm so sorry," I said.

"¡Qué diablos! Mira donde vas, Señorita!"

"Excuse me? I don't speak Spanish," I replied in a bit of an attitude, "No hablo español".

He looked at me and then his face softened. "I'm sorry, I didn't know. Where were you heading off to?" He took off his gardening gloves as he asked the question while making eye contact.

"To the stable. Ms. Schwaine gave me permission to ride one of the horses. She told me that Antonio could help me. Do you know where I could find him?" I replied, starting to calm down from today's frightful events.

He smiled and laughed. I didn't get what was so funny to him. I placed my hands on my hips and just gave him a glare. "I'm Antonio, Miss...Miss," he responded but he still didn't know my name.

"Lexis Springer," I told him.

"Oh, you're the young girl that Ms. Schwaine mentioned to us and your younger brother. It's nice to meet you, Lexis. Come with me and I get you all set up," Antonio said and led the way.

We were silent when we entered the stable. There were a few horses in the stalls still. Antonio told me to stay where I was and he went off to retrieve one of the horses. I looked around as I waited patiently and something caught my eye. A beautiful Friesian stallion stood at the stall door watching my every movement. When Antonio returned, he found me standing in the stall with the stallion. I knew it wasn't the safest idea I had but something about him beckoned me towards him.

"I'll be damn. He never does that with anyone. He usually tries to bite people and won't let anyone near him," Antonio exclaimed.

I looked deeply into his majestic brown eyes and saw the kindness that lives deep within his heart. Antonio put the mare that he had brought for me back in her stall. He handed me a halter and I slowly placed it upon the stallion's face. "His name is Diablo. In Spanish, his name translates to the devil," Antonio said.

"Diablo. Diablo, such a kingly name," I repeated softly.

I led Diablo out of his stall, then hooking him up to the cross ties. Something about Antonio was different. It seemed as if he was afraid of Diablo. "Is it alright if I ride Diablo, Antonio?" I asked as I brushed his slick raven coat.

"Sure. I just hope you're able to control a stallion. You don't look like the type that rides much," Antonio replied.

Antonio went into the tack room and brought out a saddle, saddle pad, bridle, and crop just in case. Beside me was a pair of black tall boots. I slipped off my sneakers and put the boots on. Antonio gave me a riding helmet and helped me mount Diablo. "Good luck, Lexis," he said softly in his sweet Spanish accent.