Chapter 13

It was 5:09 when we got back home from the clinic. Lila and Bill already left. Luca was playing with the kids on the front lawn. Seeing their faces filled with joy and contempt was delightful. How was I going to tell Luca? We were starting a family. I was finally moving on. I was finally losing the chains that held me for so long.

The car stopped in front of the house. The kids came running to the car. Watching little Pia run over made me think of my child running to me. See that sweet little face smiling at me with the adorable laugh. I turned away from Pia's adorable face. It was getting to be a bit much for me. "You alright Lexis?" Diane asked.

"Yeah it's just that watching Pia makes me think of the future. See her little face makes me wonder if my child will be like that," I told her before we got out of the car.

She smiled and placed her hand on my shoulder. "Having a child is one of the best experiences that one endures in life," she said as she comforted me.

"Thanks Diane, that's the best I've heard all day besides the family visit," I replied.

We hugged each other and got out of the car. Luca walked around the car to hug me as a loving greeting. "Hey darling, how was your girl time with Diane?" He asked sweetly as he embraced me.

"It was good. Can we talk inside? It's kind of important," I said.

"Sure," he responded.

I was nervous again. My throat felt like it was tightening up as my anxiety increased. I had to tell him. I couldn't hide my pregnancy for long. We walked hand in hand up the stairs. Slowly we walked into our room. I shut the door behind us. Luca's face was blank of expression. Was he confused or concerned? "What's so important that we need to shut the door?" He asked with a slight hint of worry.

I stood there in silence. My mind had its gears going as I tried to think of the words to tell Luca. "I haven't been myself for a couple of days. Diane and I didn't have girl time together really. She took me to the clinic downtown. Luca, what I'm trying to say is that I'm pregnant," I stated.

His jaw dropped to the floor in shock. Then I heard a slight laugh of joy peak through. "What's so funny about this?" I asked as I placed my hands on my hips.

"We're having a baby! We're having a baby," Luca exclaimed with joy.

I smiled and laughed along with him. He ran towards me and picked me off of my feet. I laughed and sort of screamed softly. Flying in the air was magical. I felt free. Then he gently placed me on the ground. "When did you figure it out?" Luca asked.

"I missed my period and I started noticing the signs of pregnancy," I replied.

He kissed my lips and it felt remarkable. We were starting a family. I wonder when we were going to have our wedding. Were we going to have it after the baby is born? I wasn't sure. New things began to pile up on the old. Then I leaned in to kiss his silky lips. My eyes closed to endure the romantic moment. "I love you more than the farthest star from our weary gaze" Luca said softly and sweetly into my ear.

"Your love is my personal drug, your love shines brighter than the lovely sun, your love is my life" I replied romantically.

He kissed my lips, then my forehead, eyes, and neck. He knew how to turn me on. "When are we going to have our wedding? Before or after the baby is born?" I asked.

"I think it would be better if we had it before. My father told me that Lila has only a few months left to live. The leukemia is taking hold of her" Luca said solemnly.

My heart sank. Luca would be devastated if Lila died before our wedding. It was Lila's wish to be present at our wedding. "Let's start planning then," I stated with confidence.

He smiled and we sat down planning the day. I was already June and we were thinking somewhere in July. "How about July 1st?" Luca asked.

"Sure that works for me," I replied.

We kept working for the next two hours. Diane had to come and get us for dinner. We nearly missed it again. I was starving. We had pasta with sauce and garlic bread. Italian night! I loved Italian food more than anything.

"How's the wedding plans coming along?" Diane asked.

"Great, we're almost done. We plan on asking Remi to cook the food and bake the wedding cake. We plan on having the wedding here on the estate" I replied.

It was perfect here for a wedding. I could picture almost everything for our wedding. I wanted to keep it small like Tucker's funeral. Luca would invite some people and I would do the same. It was perfect. Now all we had to worry about was the color scheme of the apparel. Would it be black and white? Pink and white? Purple and black? I don't know but anything would work for me.

"That's wonderful! Who's doing what role?" Diane asked.

"Luca's sister, Lila is the maid of honor, Pia would be the flower girl, Jacob would be the ring bearer, Tommy would be Luca's best man, and you would be my other bride's maid," I replied politely.

"I'm honored as well as my children," Diane said with excitement.

I smiled with pleasure. Then we enjoyed our dinner as a family. It was enjoyable. Soon there will be a new addition: my baby. It was about 7:50 when we had finished dinner. There was a new servant. His name was Brandon Donitelli. He was only of the age of nineteen. Behind Brandon stood his dog, Duff. Something about Brandon rubbed the wrong way against my skin.

Luca took me by the hand and Brandon made eye contact with him. Luca gave him the warning silently. Then Brandon continued cleaning up the dishes. I was worried. Was Brandon working for Tony? Was he checking me out? Everything about Brandon was sending me the red flag.

"Brandon is up to something," Luca said with a bit of wonder in his voice.

"It seems like he's checking me out or he's spying on me for Tony's use," I replied.

"I know babe. I hope he gets the message," he stated.

"I hope so too," I replied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon took out his digital camera and took pictures of Lexis and Luca. What was he up to? Before they saw him, he walked down the corridor. Brandon pulled out his cell phone. Who was he calling? He dialed a number into his phone and waited patiently for an answer.

"Brandon, are you fitting in alright?" A man asked.

"Yes sir, I am. Although, Lexis and Luca are suspecting me," Brandon replied.

"It will pass Brandon. Just make sure that you don't get caught in the act," the man stated.

"I promise. I'll do my best," Brandon responded confidently.

"Good luck Brandon," the man said.

The call ended. On Brandon's caller ID, it read a familiar name. Tony Schwaine.