Chapter 17

I reached in my pocket and found a paper clip. I looked at it like it was the most beautiful thing in the world. I'm gonna get out of here with Rex and we will be safe. It is now night time so its very dark. Lucky and Annie, well everyone ,didn't get to eat today.

"Get me out of here!" I yelled and yelled over again.

No one noticed that I was yelling, they were just ignoring me. They all stood up for a "meeting"that they said they were doing.

I have a chance to escape by using the paper clip. Rex looked up at me and then layed back down.I felt so miserable . I was hungry,tired,and my buddy couldn't even move.

I stretched the paper clip so it is one straight piece. I poked the lock for a couple minutes and it still wouldn't unlock.

I shoved it in until I heard a clicking noise. It finally unlocked! I removed the lock and escaped the cage. I moved to the cage where Rex was in. He lifted up his head but he could barely move.

I picked the lock and removed it off the cage and opened it. He came into my arms and squeezed him. I heard the guys coming back so I hid behind a rock and waited until they sat back down at their wooden tables.

They sat down and started to talk again, not knowing that me and my dog escaped the cages. I hid behind another rock and then another after that until I actually left the cave.

I went to the same spot where I have awoken this morning. Lucky and Annie weren't there. I wonder what happened to them.

"Lucky! Annie!" I yelled out multiple times.

I didn't hear a single thing.I thought they would come running towards me,excited to see me. I found my bag near the river, while climbing up some rocks.

Rex stopped and layed down under 4 giant rocks that created a small house. I decided to put my stuff in the dark corner and Rex layed in the opposite corner.He looked hungry and tired. I hope he's not in anymore pain like he was a few hours ago.

I wasn't tired so I continued to look for Lucky and Annie. Rex stayed in the little area that I found. I left the area and searched caves,holes , and small cabins nearby. It was empty. No sign of my poor Black Lab and Puggle.

So many things are happening right now..Lucky and Annie are gone..Rex is hurt ...and I'm hungry and tired...

I will take this risk going to Arizona and having many obstacles getting in my way..is this karma or am I just doing the wrong thing?