Chapter 6

It was Monday. A school day which I hate. My mom ran in my room knowing that I was awake.

"Honey, you and Adam can't go to school today..Dad's car broke down and Dad is late for work so he has to use my car..." my mom explained to me.

"Okay.." I said nervously.

Yay!I have no school today.

I heard a car pull up in the driveway. I looked and noticed that it was a woman.

"Mom, someone is at the door!" I yelled as mom ran to the door.

It was a random lady that asked my mother questions and told her that she was working for DCF. What is DCF? Mother let the lady in. Lucky and Rex ran to the woman, barking.

I noticed that she jumped then there was a smile on her face.

"So..you must be.. Lucy.." the woman as said smiling.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"My name is Jenna and I'm from DCF."she said looking around.

"What is DCF? " I questioned her.

"It stands for Department of Children and Families... " she explained.

"Have a seat Jenna.." my mother says making coffee.

"Thank you Mrs.Stevenson.." Jenna answered setting her papers down.

"What do you do for DCF? " I asked Jenna.

"I see if the children are in danger so I check their homes so that they are safe.." she said looking through her paperwork.

"Well..Jenna..I.." I tried to say but my mother buts in.

"So who called you? " mom questioned Jenna.

"She said that she was your sister and Lucy told her that she was beaten and you and your husband were starving her and her dog..is that the truth..Mrs.Stevenson..?" she explained and then starting to questioned mom.

"No. There is nothing going on in this house.. my sister is jealous because she doesn't have a family like ours.." mom said pouring coffee into a mug.

"Lucy..did your parents do anything to you and your dog?"she asked me with a serious face.

What do I say if I say yes and have evidence she will take me away and the dogs will have to stay here without me and how will I run away if I'm with another family?

"No.Nothing happened. Everything is okay here and everyone is safe.." I said with a smile.

I was dying inside I wanted to tell Jenna the truth but my trip would be a waste.