The Child

Sans had lost everything. That stupid human.... They had gone through and killed everyone. The 'last of the humans' had easily died by his hands. Blood still covered his jacket. And now he had taken the soul, breaking the barrier with the six others. Determination, his bony ass. Once the kid had realized they had caused the death of the only remaining living things in the world that wouldn't kill them outright, they had given up. Sans would have felt bad, if he hadn't gone through a similar route before. He'd watched his brother die countless times. Realized all his friends were dead, countless times.

And now he was finding it hard to care. He watched the barrier shatter before his eyes. Maybe the monsters would have had hope, if all the humans weren't nearly or already completely dead on the surface. After the monsters history got lost in time, they launched into battles with themselves, and paid the price. Now, nearly everyone was dead. Any remaining humans were likely going to follow in their species' footsteps. Now, as Sans stepped through the barrier, he found his soul distant. He had gained little EXP from his battle with the human, for whatever reason. 

His soul was not as bright as it used to be, it pulsed weakly. Then, he felt something stirring deep in the soul. But, how...?

Then he heard something, and looked around. He sprinted toward the sound, skidding into Asgore's throne room. The flowers were already starting to wilt... He focused instead on the sound he heard. His soul dropped once the thought crossed his mind that it might just be his imagination, or Flowey trying to trick him. He still searched for the sound, finding that he wouldn't care if it put his life in danger. He approached a wall, the sound seeming to come from behind it. But... there were no rooms there, no doors into it... 

He examined the wall, and found a small uneven panel. Of course he pushed on it, seeing as there was no one around to call him an idiot for pushing and nothing happening. But to his surprise, it actually moved

He watched as the panel slid aside, giving him room to walk into it. He now recognized the sound as... crying? He approached the tiny bundle in the corner, feeling his soul warm slightly at the thought of someone left. He picked the small bundle up, feeling a smile tempt its way to his face. The tiny babybones wrapped up in the blanket quieted for a moment, looking up at him with slightly dim eyelights. It still had yet to develop its magic fully, that was for sure. Sans let himself smile and spoke something softly to the child to get it to calm down. "Come on, kid. You can help me not be so bonely anymore." Sans said quietly, cradling the baby carefully. The child's face scrunched up for a moment and then seemed to glare at him for a small moment. 

"You're just like Paps, kid. He could never stand my sanstastic puns either. I've always been quite the comic, though. " Sans grinned and headed out of the mysterious room, too dark to see anything in the room anyways.

"Bet ya never saw the surface either, kid." Sans thought for a minute. "I'll take ya with me."

A few months later

Sans had regained some sanity. Probably due to the kid. He had named him Calibri. Before, he had had no purpose. Nothing to live for. And now... he had a kid to care for. he absentmindedly thanked whatever god was out there for giving him this. He had made use of a thick scarf to make a makeshift sling to hold the child to his chest, so he could zip him up in his coat, preventing Calibri from getting cold. 

Now he simply wandered, in search of what, he did not know. Other than for food and sleep, he rarely stopped much. There were creatures out to kill anyone that looked like a tasty snack, and staying in one place would draw them to their 'soul scent'.

But now, he walked calmly through the snow, exploring the area, when all was peaceful and calm. He had a reason to live on, to care for this child. And nothing would stop him from protecting this child, to his very last breath.

{Possible part two?}