The Dad

Chrom

"Hey, Little Princess! Daddy's here! No need to cry!" I picked up my crying infant and rocked her in my arms. "You sure are active at..." I looked at the digital clock on my nightstand. "...3:23 in the morning..." I groaned and sat down in the chair next to Luci's crib. "Now I see why mommy is so grumpy in the morning..."

We've had Lucina for about two weeks now, and let's just say that parenthood is certainly the challenge it's said to be! Usually, it's Anna who deals with Luci's late-night escapades, but she's been stressed lately, so I volunteered to take care of Luci for the week.

It also gives her more time to help Aversa settle in. After her and Anna's talk at the hospital, they invited me back in and filled me in on the situation. Even though I still have a bit of distrust around Aversa, I believed her. From what Anna told me, her story checked out, and she truly left Validar. It's going to take a lot of time for her to make amends with her family, but I can tell she's going to do anything it takes to keep to her word. But since Aversa left Validar, she has nowhere else to go, so; Anna and I are allowing her to stay with us until she finds a job and a place of her own. Hopefully, she won't be here long... We have a lot going on already, and I honestly don't need more stress...

I sighed and shook my head. No... Stop thinking like that. She's family, we're going to do everything we can to help her! I just continued to care for my daughter, trying to push my bitter thoughts away. She stopped crying, but she was making quiet noises of discomfort. "What's wrong? Do you need to be changed?" I checked her diaper, and she was clean. "You're all clean, so why are you crying?"

She just squirmed around and continued to squeak. So cute... "Did you just want daddy to come and keep you company?" Still squirming. "Are you done sleeping?" Squirm.

I stood up and continued to rock her. "What's wrong? I can't help you if you don't answer!"

"She's two weeks old... She can't talk..." Anna hugged me from behind and rested her head on my back. "Give her to me..."

I flashed her a sheepish smile and turned around. "S-sorry! I, um, I'm not used to what she wants at 3 in the morning!"

Anna grumbled something and took the infant. "She's just hungry... Go back to bed, and I'll take care of it..."

"Alright..."

I got back in bed and waited for Anna. Ten minutes later, Anna got back in bed with me and collapsed. "Are you sure you want to handle her for the week?"

I took her into my arms and kissed her forehead. "Absolutely. You need a break, and I want to spend time with my daughter!" I kissed her again. "I promise, everything will be alright."

Anna sighed and nuzzled into my chest. "Alright...if you say so..."

...

"Son, are you sure you're going to be okay with Lucina out in public?" Dad asked. "I mean, I'm sure the paparazzi are going to want to question you about everything, and no offense, but... Well, you still don't really know how to take care of yourself, let alone an infant."

I rolled my eyes and adjusted my phone against my ear. "I'll be all right, Dad!" I exclaimed. "I'm just a dad in a park with his baby! There is nothing that can possibly go wrong!"

"Chrom, there are so many things that can go wrong,"

"Dad, I'm just going to take Lucina for a stroll around the park, and then we're going to go to the mall. Nothing crazy!"

"Chrom-"

"Sorry, Dad! I can't hear you over the sound of me being an awesome father!"

I hung up.