The Baby

Chrom

"She's perfect, isn't she?"

I hummed in agreement, wrapping one arm around my wife and placing a hand on my newborn daughter.

She was here. Lucina was finally here. 9 painstakingly long months and we finally had our baby girl! I was laying down on the hospital bed with Anna and Lucina, just the way I'd always imagined it. Everyone else who came to visit Anna like our friends and family was outside of the room, giving us the alone time that we needed.

Our baby was born with a set of bright blue hair that matched mine, and we still were not sure of the color of her eyes since she hasn't opened them yet. She was swaddled in a light blue blanket that our friend, Panne, made.

Lucina slept contently in her mother's arms, her tiny breaths were music to my ears. I don't think I've ever seen Anna smile so much, and I don't think I have either! I haven't taken my eyes off her since she was given to us. It was like I was afraid of her disappearing if I ever looked away.

"I thought that this day would never come," Anna whispered, leaning onto my side. "But now that it's here...I couldn't be happier!"

I kissed her forehead and brought her closer. "Nor can I, my love... Nor can I..."

Lucina started to get fussy in Anna's arms, squirming in discomfort. Anna sushed and rocked the baby, trying her best to calm down the newborn. I joined in on Anna's efforts and rocked our child with her. Warmth and love spread within my heart. This is exactly how I'd pictured this... This is how a family is supposed to function! ...I will always be here for my family...I won't ever leave them... Ever...

Lucina eventually calmed down and went back to sleep, snuggling closer to her mother. "Phew... She finally calmed down..." Anna sighed. "Gods... That really scared me! And she was just uncomfortable! I can't imagine what it's going to feel like when worse things happen..." She held our daughter closer to her.

I nodded slowly and rested my head on hers. "I know... But we'll learn how to deal with these feelings. Trust me," I said. "We're new parents: we don't need to know absolutely everything on how to handle a child in the beginning. But we will learn."

Anna smiled up at me, her eyes full of exhaustion. "You're right... We will learn this whole 'parenting' thing quickly..."

I smiled back and leaned down to kiss her. Just then, we were interrupted by a complaining Lucina who clearly wanted both of her parents' affection to be directed to her. Anna and I let out a laugh and abided by our daughter's wishes.

"We haven't forgotten about you, Luci!" Anna giggled, kissing Lucina's blue head. "You're going to be the center of our lives from now on..."

I smiled widely and hugged my wife and daughter closer. You got that right... Never will there be a second where you are not on my mind! "Exactly..."

We continued to cuddle and coo our baby for what seemed like hours until Anna let out a yawn. "You ok?" I asked her.

Anna nodded and rested against me. "I'm fine...just...tired..." she murmured, another yawn following. "I guess I never really realized how tired I was..."

I nodded and let her rest her weak body on me. "I would imagine so! You just gave birth!" I chuckled. "I could take care of Lucina for a bit while you get some sleep if you'd like?"

She looked up at me. "You wouldn't mind?"

I shook my head. "Not at all!"

Anna transferred the sleeping infant into my arms as carefully as she possibly could, showing me the correct way to hold her. "Just support her head with your arm just like this, and... Ah! Perfect! You got it!"

I smiled at the sight of my baby in my arms. This was the first time I've ever held her, Anna had hogged her all to herself, not that I minded, though... It made me happy to see my wife so content with our child. It felt so...right...

Lucina immediately snuggled closer to me and continued to sleep. My heart tingled.

Anna sighed and closed her eyes. "I think she likes you..." she yawned.

I kissed her head. "I think so, too..."

Anna was asleep within seconds.

I chuckled and looked back to my daughter who was still asleep. She's so adorable...! Now I see why Anna didn't want to let her go! I literally think it's impossible for me to stop holding her, she's too precious! I never stopped smiling for one second.

Just then, little Lucina yawned and began stirring. Eventually, she managed to open her tiny little eyes, and she looked straight at me. My heart nearly exploded. Her eyes were as sapphire blue as her mother's.

I smiled wider as the baby blinked at me. "H-hey there, little one!" I whispered, almost crying. "I see you're finally awake!"

Lucina cooed and rustled in her blankets. I reached out a hand to settle her down, but all that resulted was her grabbing my finger with her pudgy little hand. I stopped moving entirely.

I laughed and began to tear up. "W-welcome to the world, Lucina... I-I'm Chrom... I'm your dad..."

______________________

It's finally here! Yay! I really hoped that you enjoyed this chapter! I had a ton of fun writing it! That being said, I have to ask for your patients. I can't write as mush as I'd like because school has been keeping me busy. I promise that I will be able to update more often soon. As of right now, I have literally no time. Thank you for understanding. Thank you so much for reading, and look forward to reading more!

Currently listening to: 5000 Candles in the Wind: MouseRat (It's from Parks & Rec, don't ask...)