The Meeting

Chrom

"Can you believe it?" Anna asked as she cuddled up to me. "April 27th is coming up really soon!"

I smiled and put an arm around her. "Just another 8 days..."

Lucina's due date was nearing like a whirlwind, and Anna and I couldn't be more excited.

"Are you sure you'll be okay on your own, tomorrow?" I asked. "I can always reschedule the meeting."

Anna shook her head and closed her eyes. "No, I'll be okay. This is a vital business deal you have to make," she said. "Besides, I'll have Lissa with me."

I sighed and placed a hand on her stomach. "If you say so..."

...

"I'll be back soon, love," I said to Anna as I put on my jacket.

She nodded and kissed me goodbye. "See you later! Love you!"

I quickly stopped her and began to rub her swollen stomach. "I love you too, Luci," I cooed. "Don't give your mommy too much trouble, ok?"

Anna rolled her eyes and swatted my shoulder. "You're such a dork..." she teased.

I smiled and kissed her forehead. "I know. I love you,"

"Eww, you guys are gross." Lissa gagged.

"Oh, whatever," I sighed. "See you guys later!" I waved to them as I left the house.

As soon as I got in the car, I already longed to go back inside to be with my wife and unborn child.

"This is going to be a loooooong day..."

...

"Chrom, this deal is crucial to us. I cannot stress this enough," Emmeryn said. "Do not do anything that might break this up, got it?"

I nodded absently and picked up some papers. "Got it..."

The Exalt Corporation was about to make it's the biggest deal of the year. Another entertainment company wanted to partner with us, and if all goes well, we'll be able to add a whole lot more to each of our companies.

Problem. The person who is representing this company is apparently the most stone cold person ever.

It's going to take a lot to impress him, especially since my mind has been so off lately. Anna isn't here to help me plan, I don't want to make her do any work since it'll stress her out. She's going to give birth in a week, and I still haven't gotten over the fact that I'm going to be a father. I'm hoping that I'll be able to grasp it this week, I may feel a bit readier, then.

"Chrom, are you sure you don't want me to do this alone?" Emm asked. "I understand you have a lot to think about, and if this will only cause you stress, you can leave it to me."

I shook my head. "No. I'm all right," I reassured her. "Let's get this over with."

"As you say..."

...

"Ah! Emmeryn Exalt! It's so nice to finally meet you!" A tall man with brown hair greeted my sister as we entered the conference room. His suit was an ugly shade of pale blue, and his hair looked like it had enough gel in it to hold together a broken vase.

They shook hands, and Emmeryn smiled at him. "It's nice to meet you, too, Mr. Garrett," she said in a friendly tone. "This is my brother, Chrom. He's the head of our Shepherds branch, and he'll be joining us today."

Mr. Garrett turned to me. "Ah, I've heard a lot about you, Mr. Exalt. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He held out his hand for a handshake.

I shook his hand. "Likewise."

We all sat down and began the meeting.

We began to discuss the partnership and the deal, and it's seeming to go well.

Just about in the middle of the meeting, a strange and sinking feeling made its way into my stomach.

I wonder what that is...? It's probably just anxiety or something I ate...

"Chrom? Are you listening?" I heard Emmeryn ask.

I snapped back to the real world and turned to her. "Oh...yes. Sorry." I apologized.

Emmeryn sighed and returned to the meeting. "As I was saying, I think we should take a small break, and we'll regroup in a half hour or so," she suggested.

Mr. Garrett nodded. "Indeed, and I'd appreciate it if Mr. Exalt paid attention this time," He sneered. "I actually think he may be of some use in this transaction. I'd like to see that business savvy side of you everyone is talking about.

I clenched my fists in anger, only for Emm to give me that "we need to talk" look. Great.

We got up and left the room.

"Hold yourself together!" Emm commanded. "You know that your needs are always my top priority. Is there something you need to talk about?"

I sighed and shook my head. "No..." I said under my breath. "I just miss Anna...and I'm stressed out about the company like always...and I'm not ready to be a father..." With every word I said, the more I wanted to cry. I'm so stressed out. I've been keeping my calm around Anna because I don't want her to worry, but I'm starting to regret not saying anything.

Emm put her arm around me and engulfed me in a hug. "Shh...it's ok...this is normal..." she whispered. "You're stressed; that's normal. It's going to be ok!"

I hugged her back, I'm starting to feel just like a kid again. I always went to Emm when I was anxious. "I know... My life couldn't be any better right now...but I just can't help it..." I silently sobbed.

Emm took me by the shoulders and looked me in the eyes. "Chrom listen to me," she demanded. "You are strong. The weight of the world has been on your shoulders, but that's ok! And as for being a father, well, you still have a whole week to prepare yourself. Maybe you should take a vacation leave and just relax for a few days."

I took a deep breath then nodded. "Thanks, Emm..." I smiled. "I really needed that."

Emmeryn smiled back at me. "I'm glad you're feeling better," she said. "We still have another 20 minutes of break time. Maybe you should call Anna and tell her how you've been feeling."

"I will, thanks again."

She squeezed my shoulders then waved me goodbye.

I sighed and sat down on a nearby bench. I took my phone out of my pocket and was surprised by what I saw.

15 missed calls from Lissa?!?! What could possibly be so important to her that she had to call me 15 times!?

I sighed and called her back. She picked up instantly. "Lissa! I'm in a meeting! What can possibly be so important- "

"Oh, gods, Chrom! I'm so glad you finally picked up! Anna's going into labor!"

___________________

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!!!!!!! THE CLIFFHANGERS ARE REAL!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, I may have to leave you on a cliffhanger for a little bit. I am extremely busy, and I have a bunch of other things to write and finish XD. I'll try my best to update soon, but until then, please just hang tight for a bit. Thank you all so much for your support, and I hope you look forward to reading more!