Chapter 38

The park surrounded the lake. He went to watch things there. I followed and was just five meters away from him. He looked around, turning his head repeatedly from right to left and vice versa.

I noticed his eyes filled with suspicion and terror. I knew him well that was why I was concerned to talk to him. "What's wrong?" I asked, holding his shoulder.

He stopped from looking around, and leaned forward. "Look behind you and see the four-eyed man peeking," he said softly. I tilted my head and body, and coughed to make it not obvious. I caught him as he quickly hid behind an old tree.

I returned to my normal position, facing him. He pulled my hand suddenly. "What's wrong with that man?" I was completely confused with any of this.

"We have to run and hide now." He ignored my question. We started to run fast and awkwardly, passing a few people and almost collided with one. Almost close. We turned heads as our shadows passed them. But we were careful enough not to run extremely fast, (vampire run) or else people would see the evidence with their own eyes that vampirism truly existed. I looked back, and tried to make sure if the man was still following us.

I didn't catch any sudden movements.

"He's gone, Abel."

We still kept on running. Though he heard me talk, he only wanted to be sure that they really avoided the danger. I dared to stop, but he glared at me as if he was furious. The park was the biggest in the city that was why we were still there.

People started to stare at us, but neither of them cared, I assured myself. He pulled my hand but I resisted. "I'm not gonna run with you till you tell me what's happening," I demanded

He sighed and blinked his eyes. "That man was a spy, didn't you know?"

"Spy?" What was he trying to say, anyway? And why the heck would there be spies?

"I'll try to tell you everything! Just, please . . . We have to go now before they'll catch us," he grabbed my hand.

"Didn't we lose him?" I asked as we jogged.

"Yes, but he might have some friends around, hiding. Now, c'mon."

I caught sight of the darkening sky. The clouds were the same, just like what I saw earlier in my room. And it was when it began to drizzle. I blinked my eyes when the rain suddenly dropped on my eyes. Not a minute passed that the rain got worse.

Lightnings started to flash everywhere. There was nowhere to go now, and we might be trapped. And we finally passed the park. I kept on rolling my eyeballs to find a place where we could possibly hide from the threatening lightning flashes and the man who was still possibly following us. Abel found a place, and we slowed down. It was almost almost a building, a construction site without any construction workers.

There were cemented walls and irons around. No signs of anyone there. We both went inside the place, no hesitation. What I think right now was that this place was an unfinished and abandoned building. There were a couple of holes around above us that the rain could flow inside. There was no choice anymore and we definitely had to hide for the meantime if we didn't want to die.

Those cemented walls could hide us. And we stopped and rested there, catching our breaths for thousands of times.

"Those might be hunters," he said as he wiped his sweat using the back of his hand. Rumbling sounds of thunders suddenly interrupted me from speaking. "Are you sure he's following us?" I raised an eyebrow, there was obvious doubt in my expression. Just a slight one. "How could there be hunters?"

"What?" He frowned. "Just before Vanessa left he was already somewhere there in front of us, hiding. And that man's definitely a human."

"If he wants to hunt us, then why didn't he or they kidnap us right now?" I asked, and it somehow made sense.

"It's a mystery, Selene. They're probably finding the right time," he said quickly.

"Call me Clarissa when we're here, okay? But. . . The right time? I don't understand," I was shaking my head pure in confusion.

He scowled at me. "Of course you won't understand. No one understands until we see it with our own two eyes."

"Are you sure no one can find us here?" I tried to avoid the argument.

"If they eventually will, be ready," he told me.

"Look, I don't want any fight right now."

So we stopped from talking, scared of eventual argument again. We waited until the rain had weakened. We weren't contented and we wished for it to stop completely but I thought that maybe it would stop when we would be in our graves.

"Let's go home. Besides, the rain has gotten weak."

"The weather doesn't even matter, Rissa! The reason why we're here in this place is because we are trying to hide from that spy."

I took another peek at the place outside and it seemed he wasn't there anymore. "We might've lost him, Abel. The rain is too much strong, who knows he gave in already." I tried to soften my voice to convince him. "Let's go home, please. I don't want anymore danger." 

As we both escaped the place, I almost slipped on the sidewalk. It was such a good thing he was holding my hand. The street got easily wet.