Chapter 6

The ground was damp. It was raining for half an hour later. My footfalls seemed like big rocks, the forest floor seemed like melted ice cream. I bet I would slip in no time. 

Thinking where I could possibly go, I still reminded myself I was an explorer. And that an explorer never lost her way.

The rain fortunately weakened, almost no rain, even. I was just thinking about Father, wondering why he wasn't finding me. I was sure of the fact because there was no scent of him surrounding the place where I was.

Because I was an explorer ever since I was little, I always got lost, but I didn't and never cared as long as I discovered new things. It was also often that Father was finding me. Most of the time, he couldn't find me. Because I am undiscoverable!

What was really the most exciting part of exploring was that watching how a parasite or a tiny creature moved. I even collected them, just to investigate them by keeping them hidden in some stolen jars. That was how curious I was.

It was still in our old house. So reminiscing of that made me excited, or the prospect of going home. But this prospect that was more likely to happen was that I wouldn't make it to home. I didn't know the fucking way.

When I explored when I was little, I always knew the way. But just because I migrated in the human's world, I lost the whole way?!

I slipped down a slope. Not a cliff, but a slope. If it was a cliff, then my tumbling like Jill would've been longer. And I would've made myself some wounds, or even a bad gash. Worse, I would've died, or passed out.

Maybe—no, not maybe. But yes—because of my memories that I lost focus on the way. No, I slipped. Curse this damp forest floor.

I shrieked as I fell. I mean, naturally. It was a short fall, though. I grunted when I rose, only to found out that my left leg was temporarily damaged. A wrong fall. I touched the ground with my both hands to help myself rise. I didn't care about the dirt or anything that was making my hands dirty, because as a matter of fact, I was a girl of soil. My jacket, my blouse, my jeans, all were wrapped in soil. 

For just a day, I was the primal survivor. Now, the only thing missing about that title was eating something raw. But sorry, I wasn't hungry for anything.