Chapter 13

The one who opened the door from the inside was a man. The man who I was talking about was named Chris. And Chris was a human. The daughter of Chris named Selene threw herself into her father's body and hugged him very tightly as if it was the end of the world. Now both of them were crying. The love between them were unconditional.

"Where . . . Where were you?" My father whispered. His voice was barely heard but his words were almost more indecipherable. Maybe due to his emotions.

"I'm sorry, Chris. I'm sorry." I tossed my bag on the floor.

"Let's get inside first," Abel suggested.

We went inside. I noticed the carving of Mother's name. I just smiled, didn't bother asking him for it. There was just one tear that fell.

"I told myself I wouldn't forgive myself if anything terrible had happened to you . . .I thought you were . . ." I gave him much time to complete his statement, but it seemed like he couldn't.

"You thought I was dead?" I smiled a reassuring smile. "Dad, I'm here. Finally here, talking to you. But if it weren't for this guy named Abel, I would've died. Maybe eaten by a ferocious animal there. He tended to my wounds in my limp leg, dad. He even came with me all the way from his house in Nagath to here. 'Just to make sure,' he said. Right, Abel?" I asked and turned my eyes to him.

He stiffly nodded. Stiffly because something was wrong with him. He was struggling with something, seemingly to stop something. And that something was most likely not good at all. He was chewing his lip because it looked like he really desired to open it.

"Is anything amiss, Abel?" I asked him.

Same stiff nod was given. He went for the door and went outside. I glanced at Father and gave him a look that said I was going to take care of him.

"Hey, is everything okay?" I asked with a gentle voice and put a hand on his shoulder.

He was walking in a fast way and I was following him. "Hey, I'm not gonna stop following you until you tell me what's wrong."

He moved his shoulder and I instinctively put my hand down from him. He slowly turned and faced me.

"No, something is wrong with the both of you," he said with a scary deep voice. He blinked and a pair of red the color of blood had appeared. I backed a few steps away. "I'm sorry," he blinked a few times and rubbed his eyes.

"What . . ." That was the only word my mouth permitted me. Could someone tell me what the heck just happened?!

"Aren't you gonna panic?" He asked.

"What do you think? Anxiety is what I feel," I moved a few feet to be close to him. Faces are so close, apparently. "Who are you?"

Now from our faces being so close, it became too close. I froze and felt very awkwardly. "No. Who are you?" He whispered in my ear, his breath warming my chills. He glanced about as if to make certain no one was around. He pulled my hand to the house.

When we were inside and after he shut the door, he glanced at Father who was sitting on the chair and back to me. "I know who you both are. What you are," he half-whispered. He grinned at me that made me think he was vain.

My eyes widened at what he said. That was the scariest statement I had ever heard from him. As fast as Father could, he reached for the nearest knife. I instinctively went to block Abel. No, not instinctively, but unexpectedly.

"No, Father. Please don't kill him," I said and sounded as if I was begging him.

"Are you blind to the truth, Selene?! He knows our secret," he said with clenched teeth. He was not pointing the end towards Abel. His aura was a bit frightening and mysterious. I didn't take a peek at Abel or his reaction anymore.