Chapter 20

ABEL

"We have to go before it's too late," Angeni said, rushing. "We have to get ready!"

As Angeni and Eilif went toward the door, all of them heard a loud sound of footfalls going down the stairs. She stopped and looked to where it came from. But I was not necessarily outside.

It was Cal and Billi, who seemed to look so prepared. "We're going with you," she still managed to grin.

Angeni shook her head. "No, you're both not. It's dangerous out there, mother. You can't go with us," she replied quickly as if that would make them listen.

Cal's face was filled with defiance. "That's why we're coming. We want to help you fight them," she said, folding her arms.

"Your mother and I are a big help, admit it," Billi defended.

She looked undecided, and didn't speak right away. Apparently, she never did. She only went out and disappeared into the woods with Eilif.

"Where's Selene?" Mother asked me. I saw her looking around the house, walking from place to place. You can see I don't have her. But why was I always hearing that name?! I was getting annoyed and irritating every shitty time I hear it. It's always a Selene here and a Selene there. Selene all the way!

Hearing that name, very instantly, her perfect face always appears in my mind's eye. Smiling and grinning while she looks at me. I don't really know the exact reason why I feel this strange feeling each time I'm around her. It's like a terrible day would instantly go away in just a look at Selene. She makes my day complete and she makes me happy. By merely looking into her galaxy-like eyes. The feeling when you look at her, it was like going to swallow you whole.

I always tried to stop that feeling, though. Quit staring, I always whispered to myself. But I agreed, only I was still caught on the act. I kept on telling myself to go away from her. But my other self was forcing me to stay with her. But, why, Selene?! Why?

Am I falling for an alien girl?

SELENE

It was finally an afternoon, the time before the attack would happen. Once again, Tate split up to call his friends to fight with us. It was just three pm when we went to the house of the Mullens. To pass the time and to satisfy my nature curiosity, I permitted my feet to lead me near the lake at last.

I was watching the birds fly in the air at the same time made my ears be satisfied with the tuneful music they were making.

I was gazing at the red-orange lake, the sunset was reflecting on the water. The color of the sun filled the sky, resulting to an orange-colored afternoon. It seemed like I was nearly lost in the reality and trapped in a heaven-like vision forever.

I felt the wind behind me, my blue hair flying and floating in the air uncontrollably with it. I was sitting on the grassland, now the only thing I was looking for was a thick tree. If there ever was, I was going to lean my head on it and make that tree as my shade. But regardless of that, I closed my eyes and tried to be with the nature.

But then I felt another sort of wind, bringing a very different and peculiar feeling. It was sudden as well. I couldn't handle opening my eyes. I revealed a shadow right by my side. My stalker.

I fully opened my eyes, it was again Abel who was again, smirking.

"Why're you here?" I asked with a bit of irritation. He disturbed me.

"To join you," he smiled, looking without blinking.

I smiled as I shrugged. I put back my stare to the nature.

"I must say . . . Your lake's full of beauty," I commented.

He looked once again at me, I also did when he stared. "Don't you think?" I asked.

He nodded. "I know," he said, barely a whisper. "But you are more beautiful."

"Abel, tell me perfect honesty. But I want to ask you why you saved my life when you saw me when you knew I was a human."

."When I saw your body lying on the ground that time, I should've killed you. Because I already knew that you were a human. That you were a trespasser, almost."

"You have had every chance of killing me. Why, Abel? One stab in the heart, and it would be done." It was really making me wonder and confused about this.

He shook his head. He grabbed my hands and held it. Tears were starting to form in his eyes. "Selene. Help me fight the feeling," he suddenly said. I gazed back with no emotion showing yet. "Please. Tell me what's this feeling called that whenever I see you and be with you, it makes me happy in an unusual way. It's like I won the world, that's how I feel. Merely a look into your eyes and it completes my day," he stopped and suddenly pulled me into a hug.

"I always just fall in a huge cliff. And I am right now, falling and falling incessantly. Help me, Selene. Help me. Catch me," he whispered into my ears.

Hiding the same crappy feeling meant that I would hide it forever. It would even be with me in my grave. It only meant it was going to haunt my mind over and over again.

What's the point of hiding it if he already knew I was in love with him? I knew and accepted that not because he was really good-looking and hot, but because he had a good heart. Ever since, I already knew he cared about me. He walked with me into the woods with hours and hours of restlessness.

Tears streamed down my face as I looked intently at him. "I don't know how to fight whatever we feel but I think it's better if we fight for it."

He cupped my face in his hands, holding both cheeks as he pulled my face into a hard kiss on the mouth.

I stopped after a minute when I was hit with realization at what was currently happening. The reality, I mean. "Abel! The Elder's Village . . ." I mentioned reminding him.

He smiled a wicked smile. "I don't car-"

I slapped him. I certainly did. So I ran away as fast as I could not because I wanted him to chase me but to go to the place of attack already. They must need me especially this time because I was aware that I was a huge help for them—I mean, my powers.