12\\Breaking The Rules

Phoebe

4 YEARS AGO [Continuation of Chapter 11's flashback]

As Phoebe and Leon descended towards the car riding behind their beloved one, there were a few people on the street outside their house, whispering and calling out helpful messages. Phoebe didn't like having this much attention but when everyone finds out about one of the most common person of the neighbourhood sadly passes, of course there's going to be a few people around.

Slowly and surely, the car was loaded with family members. A few people put their hands on Phoebe's thigh, patting it before whispering over and over the same thing. "I know it's hard for you, darling, but it gets better," to which Phoebe just nodded, leaning towards the window as the world passed by. She couldn't understand why she's being so fussed over, she knows that her mum's in a better place now and that was that.

The church became surrounded with a few family members and a few of Eden's friends and work colleagues. The car came to a sudden stop and Leon looked at Phoebe before mouthing, "It's time" as Phoebe nodded. She took a deep breath while her aunties and uncles were getting out of the car. She took one look at Leon again before she got out, waiting patiently for Leon to hop out.

One of her aunties tried to get her to follow her but Phoebe shook her head and didn't budge. She didn't want to follow someone she hardly knows, let alone to sit by them in the church. Leon finally got out and Phoebe clung to his arm like a scared child at a theme park. She wasn't going to let him go anytime soon.

As they followed through after the casket that contained her beloved mother, carried by Eden's brother and her other family members, all of the spots were filled up which meant Leon didn't have to carry her. The pain of losing his wife was almost too much to bare but he had to keep it together, especially since he had told Phoebe to stay strong.

The chorus of her favourite song was sung by the choir they had hired for the funeral. Phoebe had no clue what song it was but Leon knew the significance of this song being played while she entered her almost final resting place. They had organised a private send-off, the tombstone and everything was ready for straight after the funeral with Leon and Phoebe's favourites attending.

Which meant; Eden's siblings and whoever else they were close too. The total ended up being around 12 people, including Leon and Phoebe. But for the funeral, there had to be at least 50 plus people in this church, some people that Phoebe had never met but Leon had the pleasure meeting while loving Eden.

Everyone settled down after the priest approached the podium, looking out at the sea of people sitting in this church. Phoebe and Leon along with Eden's siblings were up the front, Phoebe's eyes glued on the casket, which had the most beautiful picture of her mother when she was sitting in the park, the biggest smile on her face. She loved going to the park with Phoebe and Leon, the company was great and sometimes, they would pack a picnic.

"Good afternoon, everyone," the priest had said, everyone looking towards the front but Phoebe's eyes were still glued to the casket. "We are gathered today to farewell a beloved mother, daughter, sister and friend, taken incredibly early, leaving behind her 17-year-old daughter Phoebe Nova Evans, her 19-year-old daughter Krissy Trina Evans and her beloved husband of 7 years, Leon Daniel Tipsill. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, her daughter Krissy could not attend this afternoon but her other daughter, Phoebe and her husband, Leon are here today."

As everyone looked at Phoebe and Leon, she couldn't help but feel angry that her sister, the one that her mother made sure got whatever she wanted, couldn't attend her funeral. Her siblings were giving Leon a pat on the back while Phoebe just let them pat her on her thigh. She hated being in the spotlight but she knew, it was Eden's day, not hers. They were remembering Eden when she was at her best.