16\\Drunken Words, Sober Thoughts

Phoebe

5 YEARS AGO

"Why did Krissy get to leave when she was eighteen, mum? She didn't even stick around to see me graduate! What kind of sister does that? She doesn't even know that I used to look up to her, like she was my role model and I got treated like I was some kind of alien! It's not fair, mum, it's not fair," Phoebe cried in Eden's arms as they were in her bedroom. It had been a few months since Krissy left for London with her boyfriend, Kobe. Eden had heard from Krissy almost every week but it started to weaken, Krissy calling once a month almost.

"I know, sweetheart. But since she was eighteen, she didn't have to live here anymore, just like when you turn her age, honey. You can leave home whenever you want, move into Niall's apartment with him, move in with one of your friends, anything you want. But since you're only 16, baby, you can't yet. Your time will come, I promise."

"She hated me anyway," Phoebe said and Eden's breath got knocked out of her. She was telling the truth. Krissy hated Phoebe with every fibre in her body and Eden tried to stop her from hating her but it was no use. Krissy didn't care about Phoebe when she was younger and the worst thing to happen was Krissy leaving. "She shouldn't have hated me, I didn't do anything wrong, all I did was be there for her. Even when she had to visit the clinic."

Eden's eyes went wide at Phoebe's admission. "What did you just say, baby?"

"She told me not to tell you but I don't care, she ended up leaving to go to London when we hated each other, so I thought, why not tell you her biggest secret of all?" Phoebe's feelings towards Krissy were only love, she loved Krissy, and she even looked up to her. But before she left to go to London, they got into a huge argument and Krissy ended up punching Phoebe so hard, it knocked her unconscious. "She got pregnant when she was seventeen to Kobe and she ended up having an abortion. Mum, I ended up going with her and I can honestly say, I felt sorry for the little baby. It got killed before it had developed."

Eden couldn't believe what she was hearing, her oldest baby had to go through an abortion without her mum and she felt guilty because she was working all the time to provide for her babies. "I'm sorry you had to go through that, my blonde beauty, I love you so much. If you ever go through something like that, you can tell me, I'll be here for you, okay?"

"I doubt I'd be as stupid as her but I will, mum. I will come to you, I love you so much too."

"I'll have to have a word with her but I won't say you told me, baby. But thank you for telling me, eventually," Eden said as she gave Phoebe a hug, the mood suddenly changing from upset to happiness, Phoebe was happy that she could tell her mum the secret she had been hiding for a while. "I love you, my blonde beauty."

"I love you too, mum," Phoebe said as she gave her mum a kiss on her forehead, Eden doing the same. "Forever and always."

PRESENT

"Hey, do you remember that time our P.E teacher threw a dodgeball at someone, trying to hit them in the stomach but ended up hitting them in the head and knocking them out?"

"Yes! Oh my god, it was that girl named Kerrie, right? She deserved it, the dumb bitch. I saw her sneaking our P.E teacher a few romantic notes plus a few hundred dollars just so she could get good grades, did you know that?"

"No! How the hell did you find that out? Imagine the newspaper headlines; 'Popular girl sends romantic notes (and a few hundred dollars) to P.E teacher. Unknown response.' She would've been downgraded so hard," Niall told me before we would burst into laughter, I couldn't believe that he remembered so many stories from high-school. It entertained me that he remembers, in detail, many memories from our school years. "What about our English teacher? Mr. Gorga, how he used to sass almost everyone out that didn't listen."