3\\Bailed On

Phoebe

6 YEARS AGO

With all the Christmas lights hung up around the living room and all along the branches of the Christmas tree, it was finally feeling like Christmas was finally here. Eden had been up since seven in the morning to get everything ready and perfect for her daughters, especially with Krissy leaving just after the New Year to fulfil her dreams with her boyfriend, Kobe. The whole family was coming, Eden's parents, siblings and cousins-only the really close ones-and it would be packed full of family members this afternoon. Eden loved Christmas, it was her favourite holiday of the year.

The chicken and ham were doing their thing in the oven and while the girls were opening their presents, Eden started to check on the desserts for this afternoon's pudding. The grocery shopping was hell on a stick, Eden had to haul two trolleys just to get everything for this late afternoon celebration. Each year, Eden and three of her siblings would decide who's going to host Christmas but this year, it was Eden's turn. With their father not in the picture anymore, Eden tried to make it the best Christmas ever. Even though, he hasn't been in the picture for 4 years now; Eden still felt like she had to make it memorable for them.

"Mum! This is the best present ever!" Krissy exclaimed, trying to set up her new laptop immediately while Phoebe was excited to get a new iPod. Eden knew Krissy would need a new laptop while she was working overseas and even though, sometimes they struggled; Eden did what she could to give her girls the best life possible. "I can't wait to show Kobe; he's going to be so jealous!"

While Krissy took her phone into her room, Phoebe was sitting on the floor; by herself. The books that Eden had brought her surrounding the area, which put a smile on her face. Throughout the year, Phoebe had been hinting that she wanted some new books; specifically, John Green's books. Phoebe's always been into The Fault In Our Stars and Paper Towns ever since they came out but Eden knew that buying them for her would make her the happiest she's ever been.

And Eden was correct.

"Do you like your Christmas presents, sweetheart?" Eden asked a happy and bubbly Phoebe. She nodded vigorously, swinging her arms over her mum's figure to give her a tight hug. Eden's smile grew wider as she grinned. "I'm glad, I didn't know if you would like them or not."

"Are you kidding, mum? I love mine. I don't know about Krissy but I sure do love my ones, even if she doesn't," giving her mum a kiss on the cheek, Phoebe continued to try and set up her new iPod but something else was on her mind. "Mum?"

Eden turned to face Phoebe, confusion clouding in her judgement. "Yes, my blonde beauty?"

Phoebe's face lit up at her mum's nickname for her. Ever since her blonde hair was vibrant, her mum's been calling her 'blonde beauty' which made Phoebe's happiness bubble up inside her. "Do you need any help with lunch? I mean, I know you've been awake for hours and I thought it might be nice to have a little helper."

"I would love that very much," Eden agreed which made her daughter's face light up with Christmas spirit. Phoebe put her iPod carefully on the coffee table and followed her mum into their beautiful kitchen, filled with Christmas lunch aromas. "Now, my blonde beauty, grandma and grandad will be here shortly so if they arrive, would you be able to greet them and invite them in, formally?"

Phoebe nodded before giving her mum another big hug. "Of course mum, I can do that for you since you did everything to make this our best Christmas ever."

The Christmas lunch was a success, everyone was enjoying themselves. Krissy even invited Kobe over for a little light lunch. While everyone was having a good time; Phoebe was secretly in her room, writing her mum a beautiful card to give to her later. Krissy never seemed to be as grateful as Phoebe was towards her mum. Eden was slowly sipping her red wine while her family around her were talking and laughing. A vibrating sound snapped Eden out of her trance as she excused herself and walked into her bedroom to answer the phone.