Chapter 21 Shift

536 words

When it starts getting later Chase guides me to freedom. It feels weird being outside once again, the sun hanging low in the sky.

"Wow" the word escapes my mouth as I walk down the steps of the porch. My feet touch the grass, my toes uncontrollably digging into the soft wet ground. O, how I've missed this...

"You okay?"

I can only nod, taking in the area in front of me. The woods. My home... It looks so welcoming. Taking a deep breath, I drink in the forest, feeling homesick for a moment. I shake the thought out of my head. I need to focus.

Focus on shifting. All I can do.

"Come on" Chase says, slipping his hand into mine, squeezing it reassuringly.

I nodded, starting to move into my trees. My free hand skims the bark of the trees as we pass, my fingers itching to climb. I can't help but smile. I will no longer be a squirrel... it feels weird.

No more squirrel girl. I'll actually be a wolf. Who would have thought that was possible?

"You still doing alright?" Chase smiles down at me.

"I'm good" I said, looking into the grey orbs. They're so much like the moon. It's insane. No wonder I always got lost in them. They resembled something I dreamt could control me.

"Are you ready?" he said and turned his gaze towards the setting sun. O wow, that was beautiful... The sky was lighting up in shades of fire. Mesmerising. Beautiful. I watched it disappear into the leaves of the trees before taking a deep breath.

Any moment now...

Any –

A sudden strike of pain erupted from my back, forcing me to fall forward onto my hands and knees. Okay, no – it's going to become easie-

The bones in my fingers were the next to break and reform. Shooting bouts of pain flew up my arms as my fingers grew shorter and my nails grew into claws. I gritted my teeth, trying to not scream out from the pain. They said this was going to be easy. Not painful.

WHAT KIND OF FUDGING PAIN TOLERANCE DO THESE WOLVES HAVE!?!?!?

My legs are the next to snap, this time my vocal cords betraying me and I yell out in pain. Through blurry visions I can see a black wolf coming towards me. I feel fur on me thought it only lasts a second before it feels like the heat has returned.

Stings that feel like someone was splattering boiling water on me erupts on my skin while my bones kept cracking, reforming into a wolf form.

I can hear a howl far off thought my surroundings are starting to fade, letting more of the pain to consume me. My ears starts feeling like someone was pulling it off before I finally submit to the coursing torture that is swallowing me whole.

XXX

Lily collapses on the ground, her half-transformed body hitting the ground with a thud. Her eyes are closed, her heartbeat heavy but so slow. It slowly starts to fade and dread creeps up in my heart.

________________________________________________

O shit what the hell!?!?! I thought I'd leave you guys with a plot twist :) Yes, I'm a bitch like that. 

A9