Chapter 4 - Custody

(1477 words) 

___________________________________________________

I looked at Matt, he calmly making himself a sandwich.

"So, where is this girl?" the alpha asked, looking up from the bread.

"In the spare room next to mine" I answered.

"And why didn't you just kill her?" Matt asked, turning towards me.

"She's a unique – a human. You know how strong she's going to be when she finally turns?" I responded.

"Won't she then go against us when she eventually turns?"

I shook my head, "Not if she values her mate's life"

"Did you capture her mate?" Matt asked, raising his eyebrow.

I shook my head, "No sir, but he'll be easy to get"

Matt nodded, "Well, let's go meet her, shall we?"

We headed up the stairs, casually talking about the pack and pack lands. I came into the room, walking straight to the bathroom. But when I opened it, it was empty.

"Where the hell..." I muttered, my eyes landing on the open window.

"She escaped didn't she?" the alpha asked.

I grimaced, feeling guilt flooding me.

"She's pretty small then... and stupid" Matt says, looking through the window.

"I'm sorry Matthew"

"You didn't know. But I'll gather some of the warriors. I want her in my pack" Matt said, making me slightly smile. We headed outside, we quickly shifting into his wolf. After the bone cracking and fur sprouting, Matt let out a howl, alerting our fellow pack that we needed assistance.

It took only a few seconds before inky black wolves appeared and positioned themselves in a semicircle around our alpha.

There's a human girl that has escaped in our territory. Catch her before she gets into the Moonlight pack

Howls erupted through the trees, people acknowledging what we had to find.

XXX

Howls echoed through the sky making me flinch. My whole body ached, me actually acknowledging all the bumps I've gotten throughout the past day. I glanced back, wishing that I could be able to actually be on the ground.

I jumped to the next branch and then I heard it, a soft growl.

Looking down I saw them. Three midnight black wolves stood by the tree, looking up at me. I gulped, knowing that I needed to move faster. I jumped to the next branch, hearing a howl beneath me. I looked down, seeing the wolves start the shift.

Aw damn... I looked up, starting to scamper further up the trees. I heard movement beneath me and saw one of the men climbing up. He was fast and a lot taller, meaning he could easier navigate the trees.

Thought he's untrained in the art of being a squirrel.

I was just about to jump to the next branch when I saw another person climbing onto the tree opposite mine, this one a girl.

Really? Really!? This wasn't fair. Really wasn't fair. I started to turn around but another girl was already making her way up that tree. I groaned, realising that I was kind of stuck. I could go to the tree next to me thought then I'd be going to wrong way. But I have no choice actually.