Chapter 9 Night time

1228 words

I sit up straight, my body aching to get outside. The threat of before lightly filters in my brain but the urgency is definitely greater. I need to be outside. I have to go outside. I get out of the bed, smoothening out the shirt so it covers as much as possible before rushing to the bathroom. Without thinking I wrench the window open and jump.

I fly through the air, feeling just the touch of freedom. Glorious magnificent freedom. Below me I hear the repeated howls of the enemy pack but I don't care. I need to go back. I jump through branches, turning into more than a monkey than an actual squirrel. Need to get home. Need to get home.

Above me the moon is in the shape of a toenail, it glaring down at me.

I jump to the next tree thought I had somehow misinterpreted the distance. My fingers just scrape the thick bark before I'm falling. This all feels really cliché. Cliché and flipping mind-shatteringly scary. Letting my screams pierce the night sky I close my eyes, getting ready for impact. I land hard on the ground thought somehow, I'm still breathing.

Thought if you think I'm moving, you're insane. I stay huddled up in the little ball, too scared to inspect what I've actually broken. I must be paralysed.

Suddenly I hear the rustling of leaves and what sounds like paws. I slowly opened my eyes, seeing four pitch black snarling at me. All I saw were angry eyes and sharp teeth. All four wolves are snarling, their back hairs standing up.

O shit...

They approach me, their movements slow, as if knowing they had all the time in the world. I close my eyes, not wanting to see what they are going to do with me. But when I feel a hot breathe above my head, I'm forced to open my eyes. Standing right above me, I am starring into the jaws of a monster is the wolf with grey eyes. So beautifully grey. He snarls, those sharp canines glinting in the moon.

I let out a scream as the jaw opens – ready to take my life.

I can still feel the claws on my arms thought they have become rougher, moving my arms around.

"Lily!"

The name breaks through the air and the visions starts to fade. The screams disappear with the night air and snarling teeth. I blink and then, instead of looking at snarling teeth I see those same grey eyes.

Yet, these belong to a human. My breathing is hard as I slowly sit up. I'm on the floor, sheets and covers sprawled all over me. In front of me is a very worry-stricken kidnapper.

"Are you okay?" he asks me. I gulp, not knowing how to respond.

Tears slip out of my eyes as I realise what had just happened. I could have died. If the wolf hadn't been Chase I would be dead.

"I'm – I'm sorry" I mumbled through hiccups.

"No, shh, it's okay" he says, moving closer to me. He envelopes me in a hug, me taking in his scent and complete comfortableness.

"I shouldn't have run away" I feel his heartbeat by his ear, it a steady yet fast beat.

"It's over now, that was yesterday" he says, combing my hair with his fingers.

I blink, registering his words.

"Did I escape tonight?" I ask, still enveloped in his hug.

"No, I found you screaming on the floor when I came in here" he responds, his voice sounding confused.

"So I dreamt that?"

I can feel him nodding above me and embarrassment settles in my stomach.

What the hell Lily!?

"It was just a nightmare" he says softly thought theirs amusement in his voice. Clearly he realises how silly this whole situation is. I move away from him, looking at him with heated cheeks.

"It's okay, we all get them" he says, putting a hand over mine.

I don't say anything, too embarrassed by what had just happened.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I shake my head, slowly getting up from the floor. Chase follows, his hand still over mine. Before any of us can talk, his arms are around me once more. I allow the hug and after a moment hug him back before I am lifted off the ground. Seems like he enjoys picking me up for some reason. But I don't fight it as I am placed on the bed. He lets me go, picking up the sheets and throwing them over me before doing something that makes my eyes widen.

He climbs in next to me.

"What – what are you doing?" I ask, watching as he rests his head on the pillow.

"Shh Lily, just go to sleep" he mumbles, already closing his eyes.

"But..."

"Sleep"

I blink, watching him for a moment before turning on my side, closing my eyes as well.

Peppermint... peppermint and warmth. As I slowly wake up I feel something nestling me in. An arm is pulled around my waist and an overwhelming heated feeling tingles my skin. Slowly looking down I recognize the arm and the body cocooning me. Our legs are tangled with each other's and I realise that my shirt had risen up way too far for comfort, his hand resting on my stomach. My very bare stomach...

I slowly turn around, coming face to face with a very asleep werewolf. I blink, gulping down the anxiety that's building up in my throat. He looks like an angel. He has a spray of freckles over his nose, it not visible except if you're this close to him. Chase had probably the longest eye lashes I've ever seen on a male and they're beautiful. They flutter for a bit which makes me immediately close my eyes. Shit... did he catch me?

His grip tightens around my waist and I'm pushed into him, feeling his heart beat. It's slow and steady making me calm down. I slowly open my eyes once again, Chase's face only inches away from mine. Gosh, I can just lean over and –

No stop! Stop it Lily! You have a mate. What the hell is going on with you!

I close my eyes once again, wishing to just get out of here.

XXX

When I wake up, the first thing that grabs my senses are that of the smell of lilacs. That, and the pleasurable warm body that is against mine. I open my eyes, seeing the girl still with closed eyes yet turned towards me.

She is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. With caramel coloured hair that frames her face in a wave of curls. She had cut it short, the waves hanging to just below her shoulders. She has a spray of freckles across her button nose and those lips. So small yet so perfect. Everything about her is actually small yet perfect. Except those eyes.

They were huge in comparison to everything else. So big, depicting everything she was feeling. Every little feeling and thought that went through this girl's mind could be read from those blue orbs. I would stare into them every hour of every day if I could.

Yet I know I can't.

I untangle my legs from hers, slowly pushing her sleeping body away from mine. I get out of the bed, knowing that I need to get out of this room.