Tears Do Break Me Down

Half way through the third boring episode of Barney, Colby fell asleep on my bed and Penny right beside him mimicking his slow, steady breathing and snores. I sighed and turned my attention to Chase who was staring at the T.V with awe. I smiled then leaned over and whispered to him: “I will be right back.” He didn’t even look at me as he nodded. I sighed and got up.

When I reached the kitchen I poured myself some water, and took a sip of the cool liquid as I leaned on the counter. A thought of playing a prank on the peaceful Colby in my bed crossed my mind. But when I thought about it, I knew it was not the best of times to prank him. After all something was going on and it was big enough to make Colby cry. Plus, my parents they were all angry and upset. Something made me think it had to do with Colby’s dad. I wouldn’t consider it was Colby’s mom because she died after Chase was born...

Raised voices from the living room caught my attention. I sat the glass of water down on the counter and slowly crept towards the door that leads to the living room. When I reached it, I pressed my ear to the door, trying to eavesdrop.

“You need to understand!” My mom said. “They can and most likely will take Colby, Penny and Chase for the night. If they come and get them, we can go to child services in the morning and show them the documents that Colby’s dad, Sam, left us in his will, stating that if he died they are to be given over to us.” I tried not to gasp when I realized what was going on. Colby’s dad, Sam, must have … died?!

“Ethel!” My dad shouted using my mom’s first name. I heard him sigh when he realized that he was yelling. “They can’t take them. They have been through so much today. Well, mostly Colby, because he knows what’s going on … But still. If they do come and try to take them we must prove that Sam left us in guardianship of the children.”

“How are you going to prove that?” My mom quizzed.

“Don’t worry honey, I will get on the phone with Sam’s lawyer and see if I can get a copy of the will. Not sure if it'll work, but maybe he can get it before they show up and try to take Colby, Penny and Chase.”

I stood there all of three seconds before I realized that they have stopped talking and my dad was going upstairs. I turned around. I was faced with a pissed off looking Colby.

“Do you just like to eavesdropping on people’s conversations? Especially, when they don’t pertain to you?” He asked in a venomous voice. I naively smiled at him. I then looked at his eyes and noted that they were not longer red from crying...

Before I could say something to him, he stormed out of the kitchen.

<><><><>

When it came time for dinner we all piled into the dining room, well all except dad and Colby. My dad told us he had things he need to do, and Colby just said he was not hungy. My mom told him that he should go check out the room next to mine, for it was his now. Without a word he went upstairs toward the guest room ... or shall I say, his room.

<><><><><>

I stood outside of Colby’s new room wondering if I should knock and try to talk to him…Before I could change my mind I knocked on his door. I heard his footsteps getting closer and closer to the door, and then it opened and I was faced with a now red eyed, teary Colby.

“I-I-I am sorry … Not only for overhearing my parents’ conversation … But …” I looked nervously around. I was trying to avoid Colby’s eyes. “Your dad was a good man …” In the corner of my eye I saw Colby clench his fist. Something told me I should just stop talking. “Sorry ...” Was all I could say. Soon silence fell over us, and I tried to not look at Colby, but when my eyes caught a glimpse of him, I saw his head was bent down and his hair was covering his face. I knew that he was trying not to show me the hurt expression that was on his face.

“Brie, do you-” My mom walked in hall and when she saw Colby standing beside me she stopped talking and analyzed him from head to toe. I watched her raise an eyebrow at the fact that he was looking at the ground, and his hair was covering his face from view. “Maybe, Brie you can help Colby unpack his bags… For Colby will be here for a while.” I nodded, and then my mom smiled wearily and walked away.

I stood in front of Colby’s bedroom door for a second before understanding that he was not going to want me to come in the room, nor help him. But I was surprised when he grabbed my wrist, stopping me from walking away. With a yank he pulled me into his room.

I furrowed my eyebrows when he walked over to the windows in the room and closed them, letting the setting sun rays be blocked from coming into the room. Colby pulled the black-out curtains over the windows so that it was fully blocking the light from the window. The only source of light right then and there was coming from the ceiling fan.

Colby turned and faced me. I saw he was at the verge of crying. I don’t know what came over me but I strolled over to him and gave him a bear hug.

Colby was stiff for a second, then he loosened up and I felt him lean down and smother his wet face into my shoulder. After a moment he inhaled and exhaled loudly.

I thought of how things between Colby and I will probably change, with him living here and his dad being dead. I bet we will not be having our pranking wars anymore.

Part of me felt sad about that, but yet I understood.

Colby quickly let go of me and backed away. I studied him as he locked his door and turned off the bedroom light, leaving us in the dark. I began to wonder what he was doing.

In the dark I could see his outline and I saw him take off his shirt and then shoes. In next to no time he was just in his boxers.

With a blink of an eye Colby was next to me in the dark room. I felt his hand grab mine and him pull me towards the bed.

“Ummm Colby … I-I …Ummm.” I wanted to tell him that if he was planning me to do anything sexual with him, I will not think about kicking him in the balls. But I fumbled on my words.

“Please, just stay with me tonight. I-I can’t be alone.” I actually heard a crack in his voice. My heart felt like it was breaking just knowing that the strong, fun, carefree Colby is now so sensitive and mournful.

Without even thinking I slipped off my shoes and crawled into bed next to him. Within seconds my back was against his bare chest and his arms were around my waist.

“I want to tell you something.” He said after what felt like hours of us laying there.

“Okay.”

“One, if you tell anyone about me crying and asking you to sleep in the bed with me, and it not being sexual … I will ruin you. Secondly … Come morning, you can bet that your little prank war is back in full swing.” He whispered to me in the dark.

“Colby,” I said as I turned so that I could face him, even if it was dark in the room. “Don’t you think that it’s a little soon-” Colby stopped me by shhh-ing me.

“No, I want things to go back to normal.”

“But things will never be normal, Colby.” I admitted. He was silent for what felt like a lifetime. But then I felt him tighten his grip around my waist.

“I know … but I want to pretend everything is normal … even if it's only when I'm with you.”

<><><><><><><><>

Edited by: Victoria aka Penguin42698