Epilogue

Brie’s P.O.V

One year.

That is how long it has been since I’ve seen the sharp jaw, pink lips, and ruffled blond hair of Colby. To say that his deployment was the worst thing to happen in my life right now, would be considered a huge understandment.

I can feel the absence of his presence every day, and it kills me not to be able to turn around and stare into his warm, greeting blue eyes. Or, even be enveloped in his secure arms. 

My heart tugs every time I see his face on Skype (a video chat web-site). A screen can never really do justice for actually face to face contact...  

Kimberly tried her best to keep me on my toes, but I made it clear to her that I was fine.

It wasn’t a complete lie though. I was fine, and living. But I was listless, empty and depressed. I was like a zombie without a heart ... if that makes sense at all…  

The point is, I wasn’t my old self who loved to pull pranks and joke around, because the guy who I loved to tease wasn’t here.

Even when I graduated high school, found a job at some small cafe, and got my own place, it was all just to make in life and not have to stay at home where daddy would keep on being excessively concerned about me and mom could come in at any moment, and ask to have a ‘talk’ with me.

I sighed and stood from where I had been sitting on my living room couch. Work was hours away, but I decided I wanted to take a long shower that would probably last an hour or something.

But before I could even reach the hallway that led to my bathroom, the doorbell rang. I redirected my steps to the front door.

“Who is it?” I called out as I got closer to the front door.

“My name’s Josh.” I heard a deep husky voice reply.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, eh? I knew no Josh ... that I could think of. I opened the door, and suddenly, a downpour of cold, clear liquid fell on my head.

And then the most melodious sound reached my ears. That laughter. I knew whose laughter it was.

My green eyes widened as I looked up at the person doubled over in laughter in front of me. That blonde hair was disheveled by the wind, and his dark blue eyes were twinkling in mirth.

It was as though that year had never happened, and we were still in high school.

My eyes watered. “Colby...?” I whispered in disbelief, for I’d full knowledge that he wasn’t due back for another two and a half more months.

Colby sobered up from his laughter and straightened up. He gazed at me, putting on the widest toothy grin that showed dimples on either side of his cheeks. “Hey, babe.”

As if of their own volition, my legs sprinted forward, racing toward him. Once I was right in front of him, my legs lifted up, as I jumped on him. Wrapping my long legs around his waist I began to silently cry, “Jackass, you aren’t suppose to be home yet!” I whined, thinking of how my surprise party for his return home was now ruined.