CHAPTER 6: SO CLOSE

hey there! thanks for reading :D

xoxo

-----------------------------------------

CHAPTER 6: SO CLOSE

It must be dark outside now. I can’t feel the warmth of the sun emanating from the gaps of the window curtains hanging from the bare walls of the hospital room. I must have fallen asleep earlier while trying to avoid (as much as possible) any conversation with Jared. I kept my eyes closed but I’m awake for quite a while now, contemplating the thoughts running inside my head.

 So here’s the recap on what’s been happening on my supposedly happy life. I was just about to start my new, fresh, and carefree life when I got hit by a (very stupid) car. I was brought to the hospital with multiple injuries. I woke up, surprised to have a boy sleeping beside my bed. His name is Jared. Oh, he’s the supposed driver of the (very stupid) car. He’s currently staying here with me either to look after me or just to make my already miserable life more miserable. The question is why is he doing this and for how long is planning to stay? I’ve been told that my recovery would about three months. Is Jared going to stay until then?

                I was interrupted with my wallowing when a cellphone suddenly rung. The thought crossed my mind that the call must be for me. Then I remembered, I don’t have a cellphone and I don’t have anyone to call me, except maybe my lawyer which will probably happen only when I become rich or a superstar, which is close to impossible. Someone answered the call.

                “Hello?” It’s Jared’s voice. I was actually expecting him to be gone already. I did not dare open my eyes and pretended to still be fast asleep. For what reason? I don’t know. I’m never much of an eavesdropper. But then again, did I also mention that I’m not a complainer?

                “Yes, I’m in a hospital” I wonder who he’s talking to.

                “I don’t know exactly, but I think I’ll stay for about three months.” Wait, Is he really staying until I recover?

                “Oh and Mike,… bring some food will you? The food here is horrible.” That, I definitely agree with. I think he just ended the call and by the sound of his footsteps, he’s currently approaching my bed. I’m still pretending to be asleep for some unknown reason. Maybe I just didn’t want to face him yet and stare into those very confusing eyes of his. I struggled to keep my breathing as normal as possible even though I know I might be hyperventilating the whole time. One mississippi…two mississippi….three… He seemed to stop. I swear I can feel the heat from his body radiating towards me. He seemed to move a little closer, bending down towards me somehow.  Now I can feel his warm breath inches from my face. Be calm, I repeated over and over inside my head. My cheeks are starting to heat up. Three mississippi….fo… Luckily, the door suddenly swung open. Relief immediately flooded through me.

                “Hey Jared! Man! What have you been up to these days, I haven’t had anyone to hang out with and oh…. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you.” I pretended to be just waking up, yawning and blinking my eyes a little bit. I caught sight of a man who must be about 6 ft. tall entering the room carrying plastic bags on both hands. He’s well-built and is also a little bit tanned.

                “No it’s okay.” I replied quietly. I saw Jared roll his eyes.

                “No really, I’m sorry.” He said smiling apologetically. “I’m Mike by the way.” So, he’s the one who called earlier. I’m secretly glad he came by fast enough. Who knows what Jared was up to minutes ago. I could never understand him.

                “Anne.” I smiled lightly.

                “Well it’s nice to meet you Anne. You see my friend here, didn’t even bother to tell me what’s been happening lately. So being the better friend, I decided to ask him myself.” He said that as he draped one of his arms brusquely around Jared who quickly shoved it off. “So what exactly happened Jared?” He asked staring at his friend demanding for an explanation.

                “I was involved in a car accident. I’m the driver, Anne’s the victim.” Jared answered rather bored. “What’s in the bag?” He asked quickly changing the subject. Mike looked at him with a confused expression on his face.

                “I brought some steak, soda and some fruits.” Mike answered, still with a confused expression.

                “Great. Let’s eat then.” Jared said while taking the bags from Mike’s hands and opening them one by one. He placed the contents of the bag on top of the small table revealing three meals of steak.

                “It’s a good thing I bought an extra meal.” Mike said pertaining to me. Jared handed Mike a meal and fixed another one on the table which he pulled closer to me gesturing towards the food in front of me.

                “Eat.” Jared ordered.

                “Umm…I’m not yet hungry.” I said showing a little modesty. But then again, my stomach seemed to be on Jared’s side. My stomach protested rather loudly and I’m sure the two of them heard. My cheeks blushed uncontrollably. Why do I have to embarrass myself yet again?

                “Just eat Anne.” Jared said with a hint of teasing in his voice.

                “Fine!” I exclaimed. We ate in silence. A very awkward silence. Mike seemed to be thinking about something. Jared has his poker face on. And me, well, I ate like a “pig” again. After a few moments of awkward silence, I decided to sleep. Sleep is the only thing I can do that doesn’t involve Jared. So sleep it is.

                A few more moments and I drifted off to sleep…

---------------------------------------------------

sorry if the story is a little more on the slow paced side. i think this might be the longest chapter so far :) please keep on reading! i'll be updating soon!

comments are highly requested! 

vote and fan me too! would mean a lot! :D cheers!

xoxo -mai

 P.S. 

Check out my latest book FINDING DESTINY - be captivated by this unique story about friendships, family, shooting stars and lucky pennies. Keep your fingers crossed and let's get to know Summer Evans. http://www.wattpad.com/story/1391990-finding-destiny