CHAPTER 5: STARING MATCH

hi again:) thanks for reading :D

xoxo

-------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 5: STARING MATCH

            There was a light knock on the door. Jared stood up, swiftly opened the door, and ushered a man in white uniform inside. The man, whom I assumed to be a hospital staff, pulled a small wheeled table from the side of the hospital bed and carefully placed the tray of food he has been carrying on top.

“Here’s your food ma’am. A nurse would assist you later with your meds. Is there anything else I could do for you?” He asked curtly.

            “None, thank you.” I replied.

            The man left the room and closed the door gently behind him.

            Now that the food was in front of me, I suddenly realized how hungry I was. I tried to sit up and immediately felt a pang  as pain shot through me just below the left side of my chest. I have two broken ribs, I need to remember that. The next thing I know, Jared was beside me assisting me while I tried yet again to sit up and already failing. I jumped a little as I felt his touch on my shoulders.

“I’m sorry, does your shoulders hurt?” He asked looking worried.

            “A little. I guess I have some bruises on my shoulders.” I lied. I was just shocked at the unexpected contact between us. I don’t have to tell him that, right?

            He quickly removed his hands from my shoulders and to my surprise, he placed them on the small of my back instead. With the lightest touch possible he lifted my upper body with ease and successfully put me in a sitting position without me feeling the pain from my broken ribs. I was frozen for a few moments. He finally removed his hands from my back, seemingly satisfied at my position. I let out a breath I didn’t realize I was holding in.

            He went on the other side of the bed and pushed the small table closer to me. A tray of food containing a fried fish, a cup of rice, and a soup that seemed to have cooled down already.

“Aren’t you gonna eat those?” He asked impatiently.

“How am I supposed to eat this?” again, I’m not much of a complainer. Seriously.

“You pick up the spoon and fork, gather some food, place it in your mouth, chew, and then swallow. Don’t forget to chew slowly!” he smirked.

“haha very funny.” I replied sarcastically while simultaneously glaring at him.

As much as I would like to think of a wittier reply to his teasing, my stomach yet again complained before I even got a chance to say something. I’d have to eat these then. I took a spoonful of the cold soup which tasted like, well, nothing. I quickly took another spoonful and another until I’ve finished everything. I moved on to the fish and started eating to my heart’s content, not caring for how it actually tasted like cardboard. Seriously, why does hospital food tastes like crap? But since I’m hungry and I’ll probably be eating this kind of food for about a month, I pretty much don’t have any other choice.

Just as I finished everything on my table, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Jared was staring at me the whole time.

 “Staring is rude, you know.” I said while still looking down on my finished tray of food.

“You eat like a pig, you know.” He sat down on the single chair beside my bed.

“I do not!” I stared at him, completely lost. I just can’t understand him. One moment he acts all worried and caring, and the next, he treats me like he doesn’t care. Some guy huh.

“Yes you do. I told you to chew slowly.” He raised his tone slightly.

“I did chew slowly.” I raised mine too.

“So how come you finished everything for only about, hmm…let’s see, five minutes?” He tilted his head back in a cocky way.

“So what? I’m a fast eater.” I’m getting a little frustrated now.

“You might get indigestion.” And seems like he is too.

“Why do you care?” I snapped. He was asking for it.

With that, he leaned back on to his chair with a resigned look on his face. I’m not sure if I offended him coz he’s now wearing, yet again, his poker face.

We stayed like that for a few moments, him, staring at nothing in particular with an unreadable expression on his face and me, staring at him trying to understand, yet failing. The silence seems to stretch on the four walls of my hospital room which was broken only by a knock on the door. Jared opened the door again revealing, the same man who delivered the tray of food earlier. The man quickly collected the tray and left. Jared closed the door, sat on his chair, and went back to doing nothing, while I kept on staring at him.

“Staring is rude, you know.” He said with his expression unchanged. With this, I snapped out of my reverie and closed my eyes instead.

Breath, Anne.

What am I supposed to do with him?

-------------------------------------------------

sorry for short chapters, i'm not used to making long ones. anyways, keep on reading okay? :D 

comment, vote, fan, whatever

xoxo - mai

P.S. 

Check out my latest book FINDING DESTINY - be captivated by this unique story about friendships, family, shooting stars and lucky pennies. Keep your fingers crossed and let's get to know Summer Evans. http://www.wattpad.com/story/1391990-finding-destiny