CHAPTER 2: AWAKE

CHAPTER 2: AWAKE

Beep……beep…..beep……

There it was again; that sound coming from somewhere on my left. I’ve been trying to identify what it was for a while, but I couldn’t think straight. My mind was a little bit hazy. I kept my eyes closed as I tried to assess my situation. I felt like I’ve just ran a marathon; my body seemed exhausted and I would have melted like jelly if it were possible.

I opened my eyes only to shut them again instantly as I was blinded by a strong white light. Am I dead? I thought to myself, worry creeping to my nerves. My eyes just needed to adjust. I exhaled a nervous breath and opened my eyes once again, and this time, I did it slowly. As soon as my eyes fully adjusted, I was greeted with pale blue walls. Where am I? I realized that I was lying in a slightly inclined bed. I looked over to my left and saw a monitor. So that was where the sound was coming from. I also noticed some tubes connected to my right hand. Dextrose. I’m in a hospital. But why? I panicked a little, causing the little monitor beside my bed to react due to my slightly increased heart rate.

Then I started remembering. It was the day of my trial and I won. I said my goodbyes to Linda and started walking. But where was I going? Oh, right. I was about to look for a job and a place to stay in. I was heading to the diner. I crossed the street and then someone shouted. I saw a man. He was telling me something and he kept gesturing for me to look at my right. I did. And then…. then …

Oh my God!”

I was in an accident! That stupid car! I tried to sit up a bit but failed as a sharp stabbing pain shot through my abdomen. I winced a little. I can’t believe I was in an accident. I just got out of court. I just got out of my life and this has to happen. Can I be more unlucky? I was clearly very happy and I didn’t need another tragedy in my life. When can I ever be truly happy? Why me? Why…. Something moved from the side of my bed. I flinched slightly. I was so busy pitying myself that I haven’t even noticed that I wasn’t alone. A boy was sitting on a chair on my right side stretching his arms as if just waking up from sleep.

Our eyes met. It was the most beautiful set of eyes I have ever seen. It was a mix of blue and gray. It was like I could get lost in them just by simply staring. But what was weird though, is that while I was fascinated by those magnificent eyes of his, I also felt a sudden chill run down my spine. It was like his eyes were emanating some sort of coldness.

 We stared at each other for at least a minute, or so I think. I didn’t want to look away. I knew it was rude, but I was just so captivated by his unusually eeriness. It was him who broke the awkward silence and the little staring match between us.

“Did I scare you?” 

His voice sounded deep and lulling at the same time.

“Just a little.”

I replied meekly. My voice sounded tiny and a little bit hoarse, forcing me to awkwardly clear my throat.

“I’m Jared by the way, Jared Simons.”

He said that with a look of uneasiness. It looked like he wasn’t sure why he was even talking to me.

“Anne Clarke.”

I replied hesitantly. There was something about him. His tone seemed casual enough but there was also a hint of coldness in it. Come to think of it, I also saw that trace of coldness in his eyes. I tried to smile but thought better of it. I was not so sure he’ll be returning it. I was already lying on a hospital bed and I didn’t really want to look more pathetic. After all, he was still a stranger to me and he was definitely making me feel really uncomfortable.