Chapter Twenty- Four- Family Bonding

It had been two days since Harry and Wenny arrived in Cheshire; two days since the dreaded festival. Wenny had hauled herself in her old room, refusing to leave it, wallowing in the sadness that surrounded her. Payton had been calling her non-stop, leaving voice mails, sending text messages, but Wenny refused to pick up the phone once.

She had spent her time, not seeing old her old neighbourhood, not talking to the familiar faces that she grew up with, but, instead, watched the rain droplets slide down the glass, while she sat, curled up in blankets, baggy clothes and messy hair, at her window seat.

There was a knock at the bedroom door, and Wenny turned, wincing slightly as her hand brushed her still slightly sore cheek, finding Harry stick his curly haired head into the room. He gave her a gentle smile when he found her, the light behind, coming from the window, made the red tinge come out in her hair.

“I bring a peace offering.” Harry said quickly, when he saw his sister pick up a pillow, threatening to throw it his way.

Wenny hesitated, pillow still poised in her hand, ready to through at any time. She raised an eyebrow. “I’m listening.”

Harry brought a large blueberry muffin sitting neatly on one of her mother’s porcelain kitchen plates into her view. She concluded when she received a whiff of something freshly baked that he must have been recently cooking, and decided that he could enter, dropping the pillow to her side. Harry smiled inwardly to himself, because he and his mother had made a bet that he wouldn’t even get a foot into the door, but he had proved Anne wrong.

Striving over to Wenny, Harry noticed the silver IPhone that belong to his sister sitting on the nightstand, untouched for two days, and frowned worriedly at it. Harry placed the plate in Wenny’s much smaller hands, which she immediately placed beside her, looking back out the window.

Harry bit the inside of her cheek, an argument going through his head, before he decided to stick to procedure and slip under the faded homemade quilt, opposite to Wenny, moving the laptop, and books out of his way.

Wenny eyed her brother, knowing that he was in her room, came to see her, for a particular reason, but didn’t feel like bothering with having another heated discussion, forcing him to leave and return back downstairs with their mother, leaving her alone like she had been requesting over the two days. She just kept watching the drizzly scene of her old street.

Harry licked his lips, preparing to recite what he and his mother had planned to say if one of them had actually managed to get in the depressed girl’s room, but what came out of his mouth was completely different to what he was thinking.

“You know he didn’t mean it…right?” Harry blurted out.

Wenny’s took a deep breath, before letting it out, her shoulders slumping like the simple action had added ten kilos on top of her. She looked up at her brother through her lashes with a pained expression; on the verge of tears again.

“Of course I know that.” She rasped, her voice wavering slightly. “Payton would never hurt me intentionally.”

Harry frowned, knowing that what she had said was correct. Payton had been saying it continuously ever since he had gotten into Cheshire. “Then why have you locked yourself into your room, ignoring not only boyfriend, but your own family? Wenny, I understand that this is a rough patch in yours and Payton relationship, but this was supposed to be a week where you, Mum and I get to be a family again.” Wenny gave Harry a pestered look when he tried sending his sister a one way trip down guilt lane, and he held his hands up in surrender. “You were the one that encouraged it, Wenny. I’m only enforcing it.”