Chapter 29: Oh Brothers

Chapter 29: Oh, Brothers

Shadé

My eyes fluttered open lightly as they came into view of a pair of piercing blue-grey eyes. They held a sign of worry as the eyebrows knitted closely together. My heart knew these eyes as it began to race beneath my chest. I suddenly heard a beeping noise become more frequent. He broke eye contact with me for a second before looking back down at me, a smile plastered on his beyond-handsome face.

"I can see that you're excited to see me, but I think it'll be best to calm down a bit. You're heart rate's going up," he laughed as he placed his hand over my chest, causing my heart beat to further increase.

"This happens all the time, nothing new," I said lightly laughing. "Did they talk to you about the babies," I asked concernedly.

He sighed and looked away from me. "I want to go get the doctor, I feel it'll be best for him to explain it," he said, his eyes glazed over with forming tears.

I nodded, beginning to feel my own eyes burn with tears.

He left the room for a few minutes as I began to pray to myself for my little ones.

"God, don't do this to my children. Please, please, please, I beg of You, don't do it to my babies. Let them live. I pray for You to let them grow, please. If You have to, just take me, but please let them survive," I prayed as I clasped my hands together. God can take me, but at least let my children survive if there needs to be a sacrifice.

"Stop talking like that," Vincent yelled, taking me from my prayer.

I snapped my eyes opened to see a red faced Vincent and a blonde haired doctor standing behind him, looking as sorrowful as a man could be.

"Hello, Ms. Hakim, I'm Doctor Lennon. I have all of your medical records from Doctor Hans and-" I cut him off, not wanting to hear all of that bullshit. I just want to know if my babies are still okay. I mean, come on, my water broke at 20 weeks, wouldn't you be more concerned about the health of your twins?

"Doctor Lennon, that's good to know, but I rather hear about my children's health. Are they okay," I asked.

"For now, they're perfectly fine. But, unfortunately, you are diagnosed with oligohydramnios. It's when the membranes both tear and leak little fluid at a time or rupture, like His Highness described it. Because this happened 20 weeks into your pregnancy, it's considered Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes," he explained and I listened. I paid more attention to this man than I ever did in school.

"Will the twins survive," I asked in a quiet voice.

Lennon sighed. "It's a very slim chance. Since there is little to no amniotic fluid, development for the babies will be slow. And because the membrane isn't there to protect the babies, you can develop an infection which can be fatal to you and the babies. They can be stillborn or they could be born prematurely," he said depressingly. It's as if he was feeling as heartbroken as Vincent and I were.

"Is there a way they could be born soon," Vincent asked from the chair he'd been sitting in.

"Yes, we could induce labor, but there's a slim chance of survival for both babies. We recommend that you wait until you reach 24 weeks, at least then, they will have a greater chance of surviving."

I felt like I was going to break in a million pieces. Everything he told me, everything, it all sunk in. I was at risk of losing my life and the babies'.

"We'll wait," Vincent replied as he took hold of my hand.

"That would be the best choice, Your Highness," Lennon said as he eyed me questionably before turning to exit the room.