Chapter 14: Man To Man

Chapter 14: Man to Man

Vincent

"I need to talk to you," I commanded seriously once I saw Shadé and the nurse leaving.

Frank, I'll call him by his name out of respect, looked at me in a mixture of fear and confusion. "Uh, sure," he replied unsurely.

He and I rose from our seats and as we did, Troy followed suit. I didn't want Troy to be there while we talked; this was private, between Frank and I. Troy doesn't have to know about me and Folashadé.

"Troy, you can stay here. Wait till Folashadé comes out," I ordered before turning down the corridor. I lead Frank toward the café and ordered a sweetened iced tea. I took my seat in the far back of the cafeteria and waited for Frank to finish his order. I ignored the envious stares I got from men and the hungry ones I got from women. It was daily, at least it was when I'd leave the castle.

"Oh my, it's Prince Vincent!"

"What's he doing here?"

"I'm in the same hospital as the Prince!"

Those were the whispers I heard from the few people who were in the café. Some obviously squealed, while other bluntly let it be known they were talking about me.

"I see you're quite easy on the eyes," I heard Frank chuckle as he sat down across from me. He ordered a cinnamon bagel with cream cheese and apple juice.

"Well, that's what happens when you're the Prince of the United-"

"Windsor," he interrupted.

"United Kingdom," I sternly corrected, finalizing the minor argument. I didn't come here just to argue with this man! I need to be civilized.

"Anyway, I wanted to talk to you about Folashadé," I explained, getting to the matter at hand.

He rolled his eyes and prepared to get up but I stopped him. "Frank, sit down. I didn't come here to fight you, now please, take your seat," I instructed, gesturing with my hand toward the bench across from me.

"Why do you want to talk about her," he questioned cautiously

"I'm sure you know of the relationship I have with her, yes," I asked waiting for his reply. He simply nodded. "Good, so why did you agree to tell everyone that you're the father of my baby," I continued, still in a calm demeanor.

He smirked, looked heavenward, and then shook his head. "You should be thanking me instead of complaining. If Folashadé told the King and Queen who the real father is, they'd kill her," he retorted.

"Kill her? This is 2013. There's no such thing as beheading or stoning people these days," I scoffed.

He scowled and shook his head again. "You don't understand. If they find out the truth, they'll send her out, that's equivalent to killing her. She has no one in England. No family or friends are outside the castle's walls," he elaborated.

He was right.

Folashadé didn't have anyone in England and that scared me. If something was to happen to her, to cause her to get fired, she'd have no one to go to or live with. I couldn't have her live on the streets alone. I want her here; I need her here.

I nodded in agreement. "You're right. I wouldn't want her to leave," I said thoughtfully.

"Sir," I heard Frank question. I looked back up at him, waiting for him to continue. "Do you love her?"

I didn't have to think twice about my response.

"Yes," I immediately answered.

"But, are you in love with her," he asked again, with much more sternness to his tone.