Chapter 20: Denial and Realization

Shadé

The moment I stepped out of Vincent's room, I couldn't help but think about the pained expression in Vincent's eyes. He seemed so hurt by the fact that I didn't want him to touch me. But, what did he expect? I'm not the same woman who slept with an engaged man. Why am I even caring? He hurt me, it's only right that I hurt him as well.

I heard the sound of the bathtub running. I'm assuming that Vincent must be getting ready to take a bath. This was actually unusual. Usually he'd take a shower when he's alone. For as long as I've been around Vincent, I've learned that he only bathes when he's in the 'mood' or when he's depressed. My guess is the latter, considering the way he was a little earlier.

I shrugged off the uncomfortable feeling of him bathing and began my long tread back to the Servant's Quarters. But as I was halfway down the corridor, my conscience was telling me to go back. My conscience was always right, except when it came to the night my twins were conceived.

I sighed irritably. I wanted to go to sleep, but at the same time my conscience was getting the best of me. I didn't want to have anything to do with Vincent, I really didn't. But, I was having an internal conflict with myself.

Check on him or ignore him and go-

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a loud crash. My heart sped up and so had my legs as they ran back down the hall. I hurriedly grabbed the doorknob, noticing that it was locked.

Oh God.

"Vincent!? Vincent! Open the door! Now," I wailed loudly, my voice cracking as I pounded on the large oak door. I looked around my surroundings in the large corridor, looking for something to break the door down, but as I stepped away from the door, I realized that there was nothing in this hallway that could break this large door.

I thought fast and sprinted down the hallway, praying to God that I run into a security guard. This is the Windsor Castle, no doubt, there were guards everywhere. Sure enough, I nearly collided into one.

"S-sir, P-p-prince Vin-" I cut myself short noticing that he ignored my stuttering panic. I ran after the man, noticing that my vision was blurring. Was I crying this whole time?

It didn't matter because as soon as the guard unlocked the door with his key, I pushed pass him, into the room, glancing at my surroundings. "Vincent," I yelled out again, hoping I'd get a response, but I didn't. I ran to the closed door of Vincent's bathroom and opened it to find him in the most frightening position I could ever imagine him in. He was leaned against the wall in a sitting position. Glass was sprawled everywhere and blood oozed from multiple parts of his body.

My eyes went wide as I couldn't hold in my scream. This wasn't something I wished to happen to the father of my children! This-this couldn't be happening!

I rushed to his side, noticing that his body was beginning to fall over. I quickly caught him in my arms and pulled him against my chest. I ignored the small glass shards piercing my legs beneath me. I placed my hand on his naked chest and felt his faint heartbeat.

I cried harder, laying my head on his wet head of hair. "V-V-Vincent, every-thing's go-g-going to be okay, alright," I managed to choke out. "You're g-going to wa-wa-wake up, and every-thin-thing is go-going be f-fine," I said between sobs.

"I'm going to get some help," I vaguely heard the security guard yell.

I hadn't responded. All that was existent in the world was me and Vincent's wounded body. "V-Vincent, I h-hope you c-can he-hear me," I hiccupped as I stroked his silky, wet hair and felt his slow heartbeat against my hand. "If-If you g-go, I w-want to t-tell you th-that o-our b-b-bab-"