Chapter 15: Surprise

Shadé

After I had left Vincent, Frank, and Troy alone in the waiting room, I was given a hospital gown to change into. I've never been in a hospital gown before. It was actually very uncomfortable since I hadn't been able to wear anything beneath it; I was just completely naked under a thin hospital gown.

Afterward, the nurse, who informed me that her name was Jenny, instructed for me to urinate into a cup. At first, I was a bit skeptical.

"Why," I asked curiously.

"We'll need it to determine whether you have any infections or if you have diabetes," she explained politely.

I nodded, understandingly and went about my business. When I was done, I had given her the full cup of warm, clear-lightly yellow, liquid. I felt odd giving another woman a cup of my urine.

As I sat and waited in an empty hospital room, I thought about what Vincent wanted to talk to Frank about. I know, in a way, it probably concerned me, but at the same time, I was scared of the outcome. The last time they had spoken in private, Vincent almost choked Frank to death and that scared me. I never knew Vincent could be so violent when he was always so gentle with me, at least when we used to be together.

The sound of the door opening brought me out of my thoughts. I watched as a tall middle-aged man with dark hair and brown eyes came into the room. He smiled invitingly at me and I returned it.

"Hello, Ms. Hakim, I'm Doctor Hans. From this point on, I'll be your gynecologist throughout your pregnancy," he greeted, outstretching his hand to me. I took it and returned the handshake.

"Now, let us discuss your urinary tests," he began, turning around and heading to a countertop nearby. "According to these test results, you're as healthy as can be; no diabetes, infections, or cancer," he said from his stance in front of the counter.

I was happy, knowing that I was healthy. I could possibly have this baby without any birth defects. "Thank you, Doctor Hans," I said graciously.

"Now, to determine how far along you are, we can either find out from the date of your last period or you can have a trans-vaginal ultrasound," he asked, turning around to face me.

I didn't know what a trans-vaginal ultrasound was, but since it had ultrasound in it, that means that I could possibly see my baby. "With this trans-vaginal ultrasound, am I going to be able to see my baby," I asked confusedly. I did want to see my baby, what future mother wouldn't?

He nodded with a warm smile. "Of course, but I'll have to tell you the procedures first to ensure that you really want to do this," his smile faded slightly as he spoke. "Not many women want a transvaginal ultrasound."

I shrugged. "It's fine. I'd like to hear the procedures. Either way I'd still want one."

"Okay. For this specific ultrasound, I'll need you to lay on this examining table. This ultrasound will be different; I'm going to be using an ultrasound transducer rod and insert it into your vagina," he paused and waited for my consent.

I felt my face form into a twisted mess. My eyes widened and my brows furrowed. He's going to stick a rod in my vagina?! I see why women do not usually get it. It sounds uncomfortable.

"U-um, can I um, bring the baby's father in too," I asked timidly. I refuse to be in a room alone with a doctor who's going to stick something up my vagina.

He nodded. "Of course. Oh, and please, on your way, do not drink any water. This ultrasound needs for your bladder to be empty," he warned before I hopped off the examining table.