Chapter 26: Truth

Chapter 26: Truth

Shadé

Vincent and I were in his bedchambers now. He was lying down behind me, spooning me, with his arms wrapped protectively around my waist and belly. I was still crying a bit, but every time he'd hear a sniffle he'd plant a kiss on my damp cheek.

I felt so safe being in his arms, but I just knew I wasn't...not for long, that is.

Vincent actually carried me from the Servant's Quarters to the State Apartments! That's a long walk for anyone. It's also a long enough walk for anyone to see Vincent carrying me like the princess that I am not.

At the thought of this, I jolted into a sitting position. Vincent hadn't moved, but I did feel his hold on me tighten.

"Vincent...," I said, not looking at his handsome face.

"Hmm," he mumbled.

I turned around, only to see if he was in a nearly-falling-asleep state. But, he wasn't. If anything, he was very much awake. His eyes held no sign of exhaustion even after his encounter with those three maids.

"Why did you do that," I asked. I had to know.

"Do what," he asked, genuinely confused as he tilted his head further into his pillow.

"Why did you come out of the closet," I asked.

There was a long silence as he stared into my eyes. But then, he did the unnecessary.

He laughed; a hearty one at that.

It was annoying me, but, yet, it sent a wave of nostalgia through me. I hadn't heard him laugh so heavily and genuinely since the time before we actually slept together. His laugh was both refreshing and annoying.

After two minutes of laughing so hard, he finally noticed my annoyed expression.

"W-what," he breathlessly asked.

"What's so funny?"

"You asked why I'd came out the closet. You know...because homosexuals 'come out the closet' when they admit-okay, I'll stop," he said, cutting himself off as he realized my narrowed eyes. We have more important things to talk about and he wants to make a joke! The safety of my children is very important to me, not a gay joke!

"Yes, you should," I said between gritted teeth. "So are you going to tell me why you...interfered," I asked, choosing my words carefully so as to not erupt another laughing fit from the large man beside me.

"Are you really asking me that," he asked incredulously as he sat up as well.

I nodded, holding his eyes with my own.

"I care about you and my children! The way those fucking bitches were treating you could've harmed both you and our babies! I wasn't just going to sit there and watch them beat on you! You're pregnant, and as much as you hate it, you're pregnant with England's Royal babies," he said the last part so stern I almost felt compelled by him; almost.

"Royal babies!? No, you got it all wrong-" he cut me off.

"Yes, Royal babies," he shouted. He momentarily exhaled before speaking again. "My children are going to live in the best conditions possible; all three of them. So if you don't like it, Folashadé, then I suggest you find a way to grow fond of it," he hissed.

I was so angry! I can't be around this man! "Are you trying to force me to have my children living in this castle with all of these pathetic people? Majority of these people hate me, I have to work Vincent, and with these people here, I can't trust anyone besides Frank and Aimee to watch my babies," I shouted back turning around to get off of his bed.