Chapter 21: Almost Getting Caught

Shadé

I was in the hospital, lying down on my back. My stomach was abnormally large, as if I was in my final stage of pregnancy. I looked around my surroundings, surprised to see so many nurses around me.

"Push!"

I did as instructed and pushed as hard as I could. I screamed in agony. The pain was unbearable, like someone was pushing a shovel out of my vagina.

"Come on, one more push, I can see the head!"

I cried and gave another painful push. Another, another, and another. I was completely exhausted. Long trails of sweat dripped down my face, frizzing up my hair. The pain died down as whatever it was that I was pushing out of me exited.

Suddenly, a muscular, ivory skinned man with dark hair emerges from between my legs. I stare in shock at the indentation of his strong back muscles. I look around at the doctors, but they are nowhere to be seen; it is only me and the naked man that I gave birth to.

He slowly turns around and looks down at me with those familiar blue-gray eyes.

I jolt awake, accidentally falling from my bed and landing hard on my side.

"Owe, owe, owe," I moan agonizingly, caressing my sore hip and arm.

After a few minutes, I decide to lie on my back and reflect on what my nightmare meant. Did it have anything to do with Vincent being hospitalized? Did it mean that he was dying and one of our children will be his reincarnation? Oh God, I hope not. As much as I hate to say it, I wanted Vincent to be in the twins' lives. I wanted him to be there to hear their first words, to see their first steps, and to celebrate their first birthday; I just want him there, in their lives. But having a nightmare like that was beginning to bring my hopes down.

I got up off the floor, dusting the dirt off of my night gown. I wonder how Vincent is doing right now. I really want to see him, but I know I can't. There's no way I'd be able to walk into the hospital and say "I'm here to visit Prince Vincent. What room is he in?" That would be stupid, right?

I brush off my idiotic thoughts and begin to get ready for a long day of work.

__________

When I make it to the State Apartments of the Windsor Castle, I'm not surprised to find that it is painfully quiet. Everyone is staring at me with interest, all I want to do is die in a hole, but I can't, it isn't possible and if I hurt myself, I'd hurt my babies. No mother would want that.

As I'm dusting the bookcases in the library, I hear the door of the King's study opening. Everyone, including myself, loses interest in me and averts their gazes to the three officers, the security guard from last night, King Mathias, and Queen Miranda.

The Queen is in an unstable state as tears fall freely down her aged, yet beautiful face. It almost makes me break down myself. Seeing her cry so hard makes me jump to conclusions that Vincent must've done something that affected him fatally.

I can no longer hold the tears like I wanted to. They just begin to fall down my face like its nothing. The three other maids snap their attention back to me, their faces written in mild jealousy.

I turn around to continue cleaning and to ignore their odd stares.

"Where is my son now," I heard Miranda's frantic voice ask.

"Right now, the young Prince is residing at the KE Hospital. If you want, we can-"

"Oh, yes, please! I need to see my son," the Queen wailed. "Genevieve! Rodney! Come, now, we have to see if your brother is ok," she bellowed as her heels began to clack down the hall.