Chapter 41

Anna's POV.

Today's my birthday. I'm still loving my new car.

Because I wanted to hang out with friends today, my family had their special birthday dinner last night. Which was nice! My parents are really nice lately, and I feel like we're finally a family.

I roll over and check my phone while I'm snuggled under my sheet and comforter.

I get a few birthday texts and a couple from Jace.

Hayley: HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Sean: HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNA!!

Jace: HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY GIRL.

Jace: we're going to the beach today after lunch.

I smile. I sit up and pull the comforter off my body. I text Jace back.

Anna: funnnnnnn

I stand up and open my dresser drawer with my swimsuits. I take out a maroon two piece. I quickly change into it. I grab a blue hoodie and throw it over my swimsuit. I grab a pair of jean shorts and put them on. I walk over and open my bedroom door. I walk to the bathroom and quickly brush my teeth and wash my face. I brush my hair out, taking it and pulling it all over to one side.

I walk out of the bathroom and go downstairs to the kitchen. My mom stands in the kitchen, looking at a piece of paper on the counter. She looks up and smiles. "Happy birthday!" She throws her hands up in the air. I laugh. She walks around the counter and hugs me. She kisses my cheek. "You're so grown up now," She says, looking around at my face. I grin and nod.

She lets go. "What time did you want your friends over?" She asks. "I can pick up the pizzas after work," She offers.

I grab a sandwich bag from the cabinet and grab the box of goldfish. "Around six," I say. She nods. "Perfect."

I fill the bag with goldfish. I open the smaller pocket of my handbag and place the snack inside it. I zip up the pocket.

My mom looks at the clock on the stove. "Oh no, I'm running late. I gotta go, love you!" She rushes over and kisses my cheek. She grabs her purse and rushes out the door.

I grab my bag and hang the strap over my shoulder. I look at the paper on the counter that she was looking at. I read it, becoming suspicious.

Mr. Carson,

You requested more information on our school, Malibu Boarding School. We have over 500 female students attending here all with 4.0 GPA's. All go through academic background checks, as we want to make sure only serious learners are attending here.

We also have top sports and many clubs. Such as softball, soccer, basketball, cheerleading, gymnastics, and dance. Clubs we offer are creative writing, choir, theater, art, and community service.

I gasp, feeling sick to my stomach.

They really want me to go to a boarding school?

I know something was up.

I gulp, and gently push the paper farther away on the counter. I grab my purple water bottle off the counter and walk over to the front door. I slip on my sunglasses. I open it and walk out. I close it behind me, locking the door.

I get in my car and turn it on. I sigh as I toss my bag into the passenger seat. I start realizing how my parents probably planned to move me out.

They didn't actually feel bad for me...

They gave me the car early so I can leave.

It's okay, I wouldn't feel bad for me either. In fact, I don't.