Chapter 40

Jace's POV.

I walk Anna up the steps of her house, it's nearly 3am. I open the front door, gently pushing her in. She walks in, me behind her.

The lights are on, and her parents sit in the living room. They both jump up when they see her.

"Oh Anna!" Her mom says, rushing over and hugging her. Anna hugs her. "I'm so sorry," She says.

Her dad looks at me. "Thank you for bringing her home," He says. I look at him and nod. "I, uh, got her some food too."

Her dad cracks a smile. He nods. "Thank you," He says, motioning for me to leave. I nod.

Anna's POV.

I hear the front door close, and I see Jace walking to his car. I gulp as my mom let's go of me. She looks at me. "You need a shower," She says. She leans in and sniffs my hair. "You smell like alcohol and cigarettes and other gross things," She says. I look down.

My dad crosses his arms. "Care to explain what happened?" He asks. I bite my lip as I look at him.

"I left with a friend of mine, and I thought he lived nearby. I thought a lot of things, but it turns out, he's really a heroin addict who lives in a drug house. I was drunk and didn't know where I was. I escaped the house when the police busted everyone for the drugs. That's when I went to the gas station near the house to get someone to take me home," I explain.

My mom gasps, covering her mouth. "Anna, I can't believe that happened," She says.

My dad nods. He has a concerned look on his face. "Where did we go wrong, Anna? What did we do that made you act this way?"

I look at him. "it's not you. I do this because I am insecure, I feel better when I'm wasted. I feel better when there's so many things around me that I can choose how to fuck myself up. However, both of you fail to ever acknowledge my accomplishments. what I've done, how far I've come on my own. I'm not asking for your apologies for being bad parents. you're not. you're great parents in your own ways. I'm empty inside. I feel better when I'm drunk and when I'm sneaking out. When I have multiple guys telling me how amazing I look. I'm just a teen, who wants nothing more than happiness."

My mom looks at my dad, then me. "Anna, we love you. I'm sorry I haven't had the time to sit down and talk with you."

I nod. "It's fine. I find my own ways of happiness. Unfortunately, my happiness can be found in a bottle, or in paper, or in a pack. I love you guys, I love you so much. It may not seem that way, but it hurts when you guys cut me down without ever letting me speak. I know I'm going to be punished for this. I totally expect it. I totally deserve it. I'm sorry for being the way I am, but I can't help it."

My parents both give upset looks. "Right now, I'm very disappointed in you. But I don't want to punish you as you've been through too much in the past five hours. So, go shower and go to bed. We'll discuss this tomorrow," My dad says.

I nod. I turn around and walk upstairs to my bedroom.

***

I wake up around 8am, feeling better than I did last night.

I roll over and sigh. I took a shower and then went to bed. I was exhausted. I still am tired, but I want to go to school.

I stand up and walk over to my dresser. I take out an old one direction hoodie and put it on. I change into some black leggings. I walk out to the hallway and open the bathroom door. I walk in and flick on the lights. I grab my hair brush and brush out my hair, leaving it down. I grab my tooth brush, adding toothpaste. I brush my teeth.