Chapter 29

Jace's POV.

I walk down the busy hallway of IPAA, heading toward my Psychology class. I breathe in the smell of paint, from the mural they're working on that's next to the hall for the music classes.

I really enjoy it here. I like the classes. I haven't liked any classes since Kindergarten. This is only my fourth day, but it's still off to a great start.

I turn the corner into the classroom for Psychology. I sit down at my table. I roll my head and crack my knuckles. There's a couple other students here. But the class doesn't start for another couple minutes.

My phone vibrates in my leather jacket pocket. I take it out and look at it.

It's Anna.

She has her drivers test today. She was telling me about it in theater this morning. I haven't seen her since.

Which is odd, because she's been with me every day for lunch since I started here.

Anna: I'm leaving for my drivers test rn. wish me luck!

Jace: no.

Anna: suck a dick.

Jace: k

Anna: ... wow interesting way of coming out

Jace: good luck anne

Anna: anne?

Jace: anne.

Anna: tf how much did you smoke before school?

Jace: 😂😂😂😂

Jace: where'd you go for lunch? I was looking for you :/

Anna: really? I went with Brittaney and Jade to the pizza place up the street.

Jace: oh.

Anna: I'm sorry. I should've told you.

Jace: it's fine babe.

Anna: :(

Jace: it's fine 😂 I kinda liked being alone.

Anna: oh my god I feel so bad. But I gotta go now. ttyl

Jace: bye babeeeee

Anna: byeeeeee

I sigh as the bell rings. I tuck my phone away in my pocket. I look up. The teacher walks in, as more students rush in the room. She sits at her computer. I look around at the class. There's a girl who sits next to me. She seems nice. She's really quiet, and doesn't really do much. She just sits and draws in her sketchbook.

The phone rings. The teacher stands up and walks over to the phone. She answers it.

"This is Erica Holland speaking," She says. The class is silent and watches her at the phone. She turns and looks at me. "Yes, he is."

I blink.

"Yep, I will!" She hangs up.

"Jace, the office wants you," She says.

My eyes widen. That's a first. I'm always called down to the office, but the teacher who sends me down usually has a disappointed look. She seems... happy.

I stand up from my desk and walk out of the classroom, down the halls. I eventually get to the office, gripping my fists with nerves.

The principal walks out of her office. "Jace? Come here! I have great news," She says.