Chapter 32

Jace's POV.

Last night, I spent hours guzzling down bottles of vodka and beer. I went though a pack of cigarettes. I didn't answer my phone, and I spent the night laying awake, worried sick about Anna.

Now, I'm in the school parking lot. Debating whether or not to give up, or just suck it up and go to school.

I take a deep breath and let it out. I open the door and climb out, grabbing my backpack.

I slam the door shut. I walk up the steps and walk into the school. Groups of people crowd the halls and cafeteria.

I gulp and walk to my first class. I'm stopped by a girl I don't know.

"Is Anna okay?" She asks. My eyes widen. "She's in coma. That's, that's it. I'm not saying anymore," I say. She looks at me and nods.

I panic, as the same thing happens. I say the same thing, trying to go to class.

***

It's lunch time. I decided to ditch school and go see Anna. I'm pretty sure other people than just family can come in now, which is good.

As long as her family isn't there.

I walk to the front desk. The lady looks up. "Can I help you?"

"What room is Savannah Carson in?" I ask.

She looks at her computer, typing in her name. "She's in ICU, only fam-"

"I'm her cousin," I say. She looks at me. She nods. "Okay," She says. "Floor 3, room 12," She says. I nod and mouth the words "thank you."

I walk to the elevators, pressing the "up" button. The doors open and I walk in. They close as I press the floor 3 button.

I rush to Anna's room, as the door is open. I look in, and see her laying in bed. IV's and tubes hooked up. I gulp. I walk in and sit in the chair next to her. I gently grab her hand. I feel my heart drop. I look at her face, scanning her features. She's still beautiful, even like this.

"Hey, Anna," I say softly. I rub my thumb on the palm of her hand. "I miss you, like crazy," I add. I take a breath.

"God, I wish this didn't happen to you. You don't deserve this. You know, I'm guilty for this. You know, they did this, to get back at me. Man, Anna, I fucked everything up," I say, my voice cracking.

"You know, I've never loved anyone as much as I've loved you."

"I can't stand looking at you like this. This isn't fair. You deserve the world, and my god, I'd give it to you. I love you baby girl-"

*beep, beep, beep.*

My heart drops. I look at the computer screen. My jaw drops. "No, no, Anna! Anna! Baby stay!" I scream. I turn around as the door flies open. "Out!" They yell. I gulp and back out. "Anna!" I scream. "ANNA!"

***

I swing my leg over the railing, landing both feet on the balcony. I walk over, and open one of Anna's bedroom windows. I crawl through the window, and step on the floor. I run my hands through my hair.

I walk around her room, and sit on her bed. I gently pick up her shirt that is left out. It's one of my old shirts I gave her. I sniffle, looking at it.

I stand up and look at the polaroids of us she took during photography. I smile.

I look around on her desk for a piece of paper. I grab the pen off her desk, and grab the paper. I flip it over and read it.

"Introduction to the history of music."

I roll my eyes. Anna and her music.

I love her.

I sit down on her bed, and I start writing her a letter. Just like she did for me.

***

I lay on my back, staring at the ceiling. "Jace? Lunch is downstairs," My mom says. I groan. "Go away."

"I know you're struggling, but you gotta eat."

"I can drink, that's fine enough," I saw, swallowing another mouth full of cold alcohol. My mom sighs.

"Jace, please stop," She begs.

"Leave me alone," I groan.

"You sound like a teenage girl," She says.

"Mom, leave," I say. I groan as I look back up at the ceiling. She sighs. She walks over and looks at me. She leans down and kisses my forehead. "Please come down when you're ready," She says. I sigh and nod.

She walks out and closes the door. I take another swig. I stare at the ceiling, feeling my stomach churn at the thought of Anna. My heart shattering, but slowly being put back together as I guzzle down more alcohol.

My phone starts vibrating. I groan, and look over. I grab it. My head pounds from stress.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Hi," a soft voice says from the other line.

"Who the fuck is this?" I ask.

"It's, me, Anna," The voice says.

I gulp, then snicker. "Yeah, yeah fucking right," I say.

"Jace, it's me," She says.

"No, no, it's not. It's not Anna. Okay? Stop fucking with me. Whoever's fucking with me, is gonna really regret it," I spit. There's a pause, making me question what's going on. My head pounds even more.

My eyes widen. "You're sick, impersonating a dead girl."

"You're sick, Jace. You're too fucking drunk to realize it's me. Don't bother visiting me," She says.

My eyes widen. My heart throbs. I shake my head. "Anna?" I asks softly. I can hear the line still going.

"What?" She asks.

"Baby girl, are you okay?"

"I'm okay, Jace."

I wait. "I'm sorry," I say.

"It's fine. I still, kinda wanna see you," She says.

"I'm drinking, after my last conversation with your parents, it wouldn't be good."

"I know. I heard. I'm gonna go, okay? I'm being released tomorrow," she says.

"I'll be waiting for you," I say.

"I miss you," She says. I nod.

"Yeah, I miss you too."

The line disconnects. I look at my phone, with my lips parted.

I can't believe she's alive.

I can't believe I was that big of a dick.

I can't believe, I let myself get this depressed.

---------------------

I just wanna apologize for lack of updates. I've been focused on school and my other story. But thank you for 5,000 reads!!!!!! That's awesome!