Chapter 82 - Dishonor

"Are you finished, Lawrence?" Kalistra asked.

I saw that my master had a scowl on her face; her arms were folded across her chest and her left foot tapped on the ground impatiently. "Sorry, master," I winced sheepishly. Honestly, could she really blame me for celebrating just a little bit after going through that speed dating style of sparring?

I looked around the courtyard and saw plenty of smiling faces. But then again, there were plenty of hostile faces as well. Well, I couldn't help it if they lost money because they were foolish enough to bet against me.

"I want you to practice this technique until you can launch it successfully three times in a row," my instructor ordered. She pointed at the pupil standing closest to her. "You will start the sparring session with Lawrence," she ordered.

The young lad took his spot across from me.

Kalistra stood between us. She hopped back and yelled, "Begin!"

My opponent rushed to make the first attack but I was even faster. However, I misjudged his height and the tip of my practice blade MISSED his shoulder. Whack. "Yield," I huffed with annoyance. I took my position and waited for my next opponent to take his stance.

Kalistra said, "You missed because your eyes left your target for a moment. You need to focus and concentrate solely on your target. Nothing else matters in a fight except your opponent," she said.

"Yes, master!" I barked.

The cat girl nodded at me. She hopped out of the way and yelled, "Begin!"

This time, I made sure that my eyes remained on my target. My renewed concentration paid off when my opponent yelled, "Yield!"

With more outcries of "Yield" by my next two opponents, I was able to accomplish Kalistra's assignment. I received a pop-up notification which read, "First Strike ADVANCED to Level 2. +100 XP." This time I declined to celebrate. I didn't want to annoy my instructor again.

The heir turned to my sparring partners. "Thank you for sparring with Lawrence. Now take a fifteen minutes break and then come back to me for your next assignment," she ordered.

"Yes, master!" the young apprentices replied and then dispersed.

Another group of students who were loitering nearby immediately replaced the students who left the courtyard.

I groaned inwardly at this new gathering. These students were a bit older. They were physically bigger and stronger. It will definitely be more difficult to fight these students. I waited patiently for the ax to drop and Kalistra did not disappoint.

"For your next lesson, you will learn the Slide Step. Once you master that, I will teach you one more sword technique and we'll be finished with your intensive training," my instructor said. She took a moment to check my status screen. I only had three sword skills at the moment, and I was able to learn one more at level five.

Seeing that my master was preoccupied with her thoughts, my mind drifted off to the "slide step." I imagined myself doing the electric slide: extend one leg to the left beyond my hip and then drag the rest of my body toward left. And then repeat with my right leg. Was the slide step a variation of the electric slide? Suddenly, I felt a sharp jab in my right shoulder. "-2 Health."

"Pay attention when I'm talking, Lawrence," Kalistra said. "I want you to attack me."

"Huh?" I stared at her blankly.

The cat girl stomped on my foot.

"-2 Health." I dismissed the pop-up and glowered at Kalistra. I aimed the First Strike skill at her chest. My arms were extended and my aim was true. However, the cat girl was simply too quick for me to catch off guard.