Chapter 70 - A Torturous Return

By the time I reached the end of the hallway, I was frozen with fear of what Kalistra planned for me. I remembered the humiliation that I endured when I vomited in the courtyard after I ran a ton of lapses as punishment. That was on my very first day of physical fitness training under the heir to the dojo because apparently, I didn't have the proper attributes to start the real swordsmanship lessons at the school.

The numerous students practicing in the courtyard watched me get chewed out by her. I also had to clean up the mess that I had made. I was certain that the students were wagering on when I would quit the dojo altogether. But my stubbornness made me stay and endure the harsh physical fitness training.

During my next training session, Kalistra made me carry Gendun in a manpack on my back and run around the courtyard. Mentally, I understood the reason behind this exercise, but I didn't have an easier time with it, either. I ended up collapsing from exhaustion while the kid was still on my back. Thankfully, my young friend fell on top of me, rather than vice versa, and escaped any serious injury.

Given these un-orthodoxical training methods that Kalistra seemed to prefer, I couldn't help but shudder in fear at what I will do doing the rest of today. Surely, the evil minx will have something even worse in store for me.

"As much as I am enjoying your personal suffering right now, Larry, you really need to go back to the dojo," Enab said in an absurdly nice tone of voice. "So GET OUT!" he yelled as the assistant suddenly opened the door and planted a foot on my rear to push me out.

"-2 Health." Before I could finish turning around, the door was slammed shut in my face.

"Yoohoo, Lord Mulligan! Over here!"

I winced upon hearing the voice of Kalistra. I took note of the false cheer in her voice. With growing dread in my heart, I turned around again, this time to face judgment. My head swiveled back and forth until I found the cat girl; she was leaning against a wall of a shop located on the east end of the block and across the street. Given her short height, it was tough for me to find her in the growing crowd of pedestrians milling about the street. I hurried down the block and joined her.

Kalistra was in a surprisingly good mood considering that I had made her wait for over half an hour. Suddenly, the evil minx grinned and held up a paw. "Your training starts now, milord. Now run back to the dojo!" she commanded me and suddenly swiped at my chest with her sharp claws.

Fortunately, her unexpected attack did no damage since my studded leather armor protected me. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Should I aim for your face next?" the cat girl threatened as her pale yellow-green eyes narrowed. She flexed her left paw menacingly.

"No, master!" I yelled and started running back to the dojo.

However, it appeared that I wasn't running fast enough for her because Kalistra kept swiping at me every half-block. Some hits I managed to avoid, while others landed on my arms and legs. But thankfully, my tormentor exercised some restraint and avoided scratching my face. Thank Kallimon for small favors.

Shortly thereafter, I stood before the two stone guardians in front of the entrance to the dojo. I had taken a half dozen hits from Kalistra and accumulated a loss of ten more health points. I was huffing and puffing from running several blocks. But unlike a few days ago, I had enough stamina to remain standing on my feet. I couldn't do anything else at the moment but nonetheless, I was proud of my increase in physical endurance.

"Move," my master nudged me aside and opened the heavy door.

I quickly followed her inside, and Kalistra closed the door behind me.