Chapter 16 - Songstress

Kalistra stood across the street and waited until her pupil returned to his guest room. It was located in the second window from the left end of the tavern on the second floor. She briefly saw the shadow of Lawrence sitting down and finally released the party.

Kalistra felt guilty for pushing him so hard but given his level one status she knew that it was a matter of survival for him. If he left the school in his injured and exhausted state and died on the street, it would sully her personal Honor. Thus, she had to follow him to ensure his safe return to The Noble Lady. She suspected that she will be following him for the next few days until his body became adjusted to the physical regimen of her school.

Kalistra went inside the tavern and looked around until she saw Vern; he was working as the bartender this evening. She walked across the common room and stood in front of the bar table. "I need to speak with you, Vern," she said quietly.

The orcish tavern keeper grunted and left his station. He walked into the kitchen and waited for Kalistra to enter. "Yes?" he grunted curtly.

"I assume you already met a nobleman named 'Lawrence Eugene Mulligan?' My papa has assigned me to be his instructor at my dojo," Kalistra revealed quietly.

Vern immediately burst out laughing!

The kitchen staff was startled by their employer. It was RARE to hear the prickly-tempered orc laugh. For some of the workers, it was the first time that they heard him laugh. It was a harsh sound with slight wheezing and whistling mixed in with a deep huffing sound. When they saw his glare, the workers immediately turned their heads back to their work.

"Please keep this a secret but my new pupil is only level one," she continued.

Vern grunted. "Yes, I had my suspicion. He is far too weak for his age. So you want me to keep an eye on him while he is in my tavern?" he surmised with amusement. The cat girl wasn't the only one to make this request of the formidable warrior.

Kalistra nodded.

"Will you trade a favor for a favor?" the orc asked.

"What do you have in mind?" the cat girl's eyes gleamed in curiosity. The orc was unpredictable due to his Chaotic alignment but Kalistra had never seen him commit evil. Thus, she never felt the need to draw her blade against the veteran warrior. However, it would be interesting to see who would win in a duel between the two seasoned warriors.

"The young kid, Gendun, will turn thirteen soon and need to start an apprenticeship. I do not want him to waste his life tethered to a tavern. I would like you to accept him as your personal student in swordsmanship," Vern requested. "I will foot the bill for his expenses at your dojo," he added as if the substantial monetary commitment was a mere afterthought.

Kalistra stared at the orc. She was very surprised by the request. It was rather generous of him considering that Gendun was not of his blood. "Before I accept your request I have one question: are Gendun and Lawrence friends?" she asked.

"Yes," he grunted.

Kalistra grinned and revealed her sharp teeth. "Then we have a deal."

#

An hour later, the maid knocked on the door. "Milord, it's Amelica," she said. Hearing no reply, the maid expertly balanced the tray of food on her left hand and forearm while taking a ring of keys out of her right pocket. She thumbed over the guest keys until she found the one for room "F" and then unlocked the door. When she entered, the maid saw that the nobleman had fallen asleep on the nightstand.

Amelica set the tray down on top of the storage chest, which had a flat top; she didn't want to leave the tray of food on the floor in case a mouse was scurrying about. Then she walked around the bed and approached Lawrence. She shook his left shoulder and tried to wake him up but failed to do so. She had seen the blood stain on his shirt over the right shoulder and avoided touching it. She pondered what to do. If he ended up dying in the guest room, then the Watch will open an investigation over the nobleman's death. Furthermore, rumors will spread regarding the cause of his death and suspicion will inevitably fall on the former orcish clan leader and his staff. Thus, she resolved to use her special skills that she had acquired a long time ago and try her best to heal him.