Chapter 77 - Dirty Fighting

The Watchmen responded to Nexholm's declaration by stomping their feet on the ground, causing the very earth to shake.

The second-in-command nodded in approval and then he barked out an order. "Get back to your duty!"

Wordlessly, the Border Patrolmen resumed their vigilance scouring for dangers beyond the wall.

"Please follow me," Nexholm requested and then started walking eastward.

I saw that further to the right along the wall, there was a break in the stone wall; and there was a gatehouse adjoining each end of the wall. In the space between these structures, there two lines: the left for people entering the town and the right for people exiting Tregome. I saw relatively few people leaving, presumably because the trappers and gatherers had departed earlier this morning. Additionally, it appeared that the people seeking entry into Tregome were subject to greater scrutiny; the presence of a man of the cloth wearing a truth stone around his neck amongst the Watchmen lent further credence to this assumption.

For a moment, I imagined myself returning from the Melee Tournament with a big medal around my neck for winning my division, and explaining to the cleric, under oath, how I obtained the medal. Well, even if I enter the tournament with low expectations, there was always hope, right? Abruptly, I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. I received a pop-up that read, "-2 Health." Ouch. I quickly dismissed the message. It was obvious who inflicted the damage.

"Stop dallying," Kalistra grumbled.

"Sorry, master!" I replied meekly and hurried after the second captain. I heard a snicker behind me, and I knew that it was Maisen. Only she would enjoy my humiliation. The Border Patrolmen guarding the wall were far too tense to laugh at me. Frankly, their demeanor was worrisome because this attitude reflected their concerns for dangers lurking beyond this crumbling old wall. When I embark on my journey tomorrow morning, I will probably encounter this danger. The gaming world will undoubtedly ensure that this will occur. And then both the gods and the gamemaster will be watching to see how I survive this encounter. Yep, that was the reason why I was brought into this world—solely for their entertainment.

As if to confirm my suspicion, I felt a slight tingling from one of the hidden brands on my left forearm. Only the demigod, Bane, had shown an inclination to monitor my thoughts continuously and also communicate with me via my divine brand. I quickly called up an unpleasant memory of my bossy editor from back home reading me the riot act for failing to submit a weekly chapter for my book. Take that, Bane!

Abruptly, I felt something push me gently on my back. "Come on milord," Maisen breathed closely into my left ear. Her hand was persistent and I couldn't prevent my body from taking a few steps forward. "Alright, alright! I'm going," I said in a whiny voice. I saw that Nexholm had entered the left gatehouse and I quickly entered the structure as well.

I had to admit that I was surprised when I walked in. There was a door frame but no door. The gatehouse was made of wood, enclosed with a roof some six feet above the ground. The size of the gatehouse was approximately a dozen of those old-fashioned telephone booths stacked together. Frankly, calling the structure a "gatehouse" was generous; it was more like an oversized security booth. Inside the booth was a table with some stools underneath. On the far end of the booth was a cauldron over some stones. I saw smoke coming out of the large pot, meaning that the stones were heating the contents of the pot somehow.

"Ah, milord is here at last!" the second captain said with a smile. "Please join us for lunch," he continued as he stirred the cauldron with a wooden ladle and then started pouring the liquid into small bowls on the table. "Come take a bowl and eat," he urged.