In The Midst of an Abyss

PIlsook P.O.V

I was trying to catch my breath as I hold on to the pole beside the gate. A wipe a few sweat that roll down from my forehead to my chin. I was indeed sweating as I run my way to school. I can’t take the bus remember. Aisht!

<*breath in >

<Breath out>

“Look”, I glance to my side seeing other student looking and pointing at me whispering to one another.

Ignore them, I told myself.

After catching up my breath, I went straight to the comfort room to change to my uniform. I fix myself up and went to sit on the bench in the hallway. I took my bag and place it on my lap. I open it up and took a bottle of water that I drink it in one go, to truly freshen myself. I look at both side of the corridor to make sure no one is around as I open the wrapper of my sweet melon bread. A bite won’t hurt, right?

And then I took a bite.

Hmmm, nam nam nam…

Okay, two bite won’t hurt and I totally lost it. I was already full when I went to my class. At least I got all my energy back.

‘thanks yummy bread’

---

While I was arranging my things inside my locker a thought came in my mind. I open up my notes and took the two tickets hid inside the middle.

Aigoo, Friday is coming soon and I still hadn’t decided who to bring.

I close the locker and let out a deep sigh. I really wanted to go but I don’t have anyone to bring. Mom, can’t join me since she was avoiding sweet and I don’t have any girlfriends to go with. Going alone is lonely. I was startled from my thought as I heard a bang from my side. I quickly turn my head on the side.

It was Jason. Yah, why didn’t I think of asking him?

“Ja—“

He already turns around before I was able to call him. Is there something wrong? I watch him as he walk his way out of the corridors.

I guess I’ll just ask him next time.

I decided to head down stairs to practice, while I was passing by the principal office the door suddenly opens. I stop in my track as our eyes met. He looks at me surprise but then his eyes turn dark as he look away.

“Jonghyun”, it has been a long time since I last saw him. He was wearing a black sweater, white shirt underneath and simple jeans. As usual he was still on his neat looks though he got a dark circle under his eyes. He must be into a lot of stress lately; I hadn’t visited him for a while.

“Omoo, did you came here to visit me?” I said all smile.

 He turns his head away and let go of a sigh as he put his hand in his pocket. He then turn around and was about to leave but I held on his sleeve.

“jonghyun-ah”, he stop.

“I’m not here for you, so don’t let your hopes high”, he said as he took my hands of his sleeve. And I suddenly felt a sting inside my chest.

Is he still mad at me?

“Oppa!” a young girl came running toward him. He smiles as he meet her halfway. I turn around looking at them.

“Thanks, for coming here”, the girl beamed out at him.

“Of course, I told you I’ll talk to them.  FOR YOU”, he glance at me smile vanishing on his face but the expression in his face suddenly change as she messes her hair and begun chuckling.

“Since I’m here do you want to give me a tour in your school?”

The girl giggly comply.

I thought I was his only precious friend that is a girl but why is he being touchy with that girl. I puff my checks in frustration as I trail behind them. I was pouting as I follow them around pecking on his side trying to gain his attention. I badly want to talk to him. He used to be my boy best friend and now he is ignoring me.

The girl suddenly stop in front of the little stage downstairs as her phone beep.

“Aisht!!!”

“Is there something wrong?” Jonghyun asked as he looks back at her.

“I had to go, they needed me to help them on the props. Jeseohabnida”, she apologizes bowing down.

“I understand”

She once again bows down before running her way out.

I watch his back as I was battling on myself whether to open my mouth or just keep it shut.

“Pilsook, what are you doing?”

“Eh?”

“why are you following us?”

“I— jonghyun-ah! I’m sorry”, my eyes start to become misty. I walk toward him and grab the helm of his shirt from behind “Please forgive me I’m…”

“I thought you were different”

My brows join together in confusion, letting him go. He turns to face me.

“You said you’ll never leave me unlike the others but you also did the same”, I can hear the pain in his voice.

“but you told me to—“

“ I never give up on you but you gave up on me that easily, wae? I thought you were my friend, then why?”

I suddenly felt guilty upon realizing what had I done. I told him I’ll never leave him and be his loyal student but I didn’t have the time to came back as I was busy having my moment with Jason. I totally forget about my other friend who was having a hard time running Mr. Jang school alone. Now he thought that I already given up on him, that I no longer treasure our friendship.

“I’m sorry”, I once again mumble.

“I’m really disappointed with you”, and he turn around to leave.

Hot tears stream on my face. I was about to follow him but a hand stop me grabbing me on my wrist.

“Jason”, I look at him with my wet eyes.

I look at him all confuse then I remember I need to follow jonghyun. I try to pull my hand from him but he held on it tighter. I tilt my head up having no idea of what he was doing. He shook his head.

“…”

“let’s practice”

(the next day)

I was breathless as I arrived at school. I was able to give him the ticket but will he come? Aigoo! I am nervous…very nervous. I went inside the building and went to my locker. I was preparing my things and get a glimpse of Jason. He put on his headphones and walks toward my direction absorb with the music. He look at my way, I smiled and about to say ‘annyeong’  but he immediately

look away.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pilsook P.O.v

I was patiently waiting outside the cup cake factory it’s already 10’o clock in the morning and I keep on glancing on my phone.

‘geez his late’

“Pilsook!!!!!!!!”