Chapter 13 Welcome to Dove's Cove

Chapter 13 Welcome to Dove’s Cove

Pulling out my phone I scrolled through my contacts to Mom’s number. It reminded me of why I was even doing this, risking my life just for answers. Hitting the call button I listened to it ring. On the 4th ring he picked up sounding like his normal cheerful self. This guy has some major mental problems.

“Well hello Riley” Gage chuckled.

“I need to know how to get to the Raging Kings territory” I said not wanting to chit chat with him.

“Oh my, my, my, the little girl going to play with the big bad wolves” he laughed.

“Are you going to tell me or not” I snapped.

“Why are you going there” he asked seriously.

“Because that’s where your Dad is from and I want to know if he had any enemies that would want to kill him” I answered. Gage was quiet for a long time when he final spoke.

“Route 6 South till you come to a town called Dove’s Cove. It will take 3 or 4 hours to get there” He sounded tense.

“Is my mom alright” I asked trying to snap him out of whatever trance he was in.

“She’s fine don’t worry we’re taking good care of her” he said back to his playful tone. It was better than pissed or whatever was going on with him. Mom would be an easy target for him.

“Don’t get yourself killed Riley or I won’t have a reason to keep your dear Mom around” he said then ended the call. I was almost to the hospital when it dawned on me I needed to find Route 6. Using the GPS to find it luckily I was going the right way which was past the hospital and a small gas station. Turning on the radio I settled in for a long drive. It seems like I’ve been in this Jeep more the last couple days then I have all year.

About an hour and a half into the ride my phone started ringing. Lexi’s name appeared on the screen with her picture.

“Hello Lexi” I said.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing? You’re going to get yourself killed” JP’s angry voice shouted over the phone making me pull it away from my ear. Even through the phone his voice made me shiver. There is something seriously wrong with me.

“Wow Lexi you sound horrible are you getting sick” I asked knowing it’d piss him off. That’s what he gets for thinking he can mess with me.

“Riley” he growled into the phone.

“JP” I said sweetly

“Where are you?”

“Um, not sure. I headed back to the interstate and got on the southbound ramp but I have no clue where I’m at” I lied. There was no way I was telling him that I was about half way there. “Stop the car and wait for us” he ordered in a tone that held so much command I was tempted to stop. But I didn’t.

“Fine, there is a rest stop about 5 miles up the road I’ll wait there” I lied again. I hated lying but they’d probably get me killed if they were with me.

“We’ll be there soon” JP said hanging up. Yeah, you’ll be somewhere I’m not, I thought to myself.

The rest of the trip was quiet, just the music playing. A sign for Dove’s Cove came into view saying it was 2 miles ahead. It was already 1a.m. so the bar might be closed by now. Hopefully it wasn’t because staying here didn’t sound like a good idea at all. About a mile past the sign a large white building on the right caught my attention. On the front in glowing red neon lights was “Raging Kings Bar”. It sat alone with a large gravel parking lot all the way around it, filled with trucks, motorcycles and sports cars. I took that as a good sign. Pulling into the lot, parking right in front of the door I shut the Jeep off staring at the 2 story building. It looked nice with a few windows here and there around the top. Just as I was ready to get out my phone started ringing. Lexi’s name popped up again so I rejected the call putting it on vibrate. This is for my mom, I kept repeating in my head. Fear was creeping up inside me but I had to do this. Climbing out shoving my phone in my back pocket while reaching under the seat pulling the case out and opening it my hands shaking. It wasn’t the gun that bothered me it was the people inside. When Dad gave me the gun he took me to the shooting range and got me a conceal carry license. He said I was a natural because every time I shot it I’d hit the bulls eye. Sliding the clip in the gun and clicking the safety on, I slid it between my lower back and shorts feeling the cold steel against my skin. With a deep, calming breath I walked toward the large grey door.