Chapter 2 Party Invite

The room was really nice with a queen size bed centered against the far wall, dark hardwood floors, light yellow wallpaper that gave the room a warm atmosphere. Two lamps on either side of the bed lit up the room showing a door to the left and a large window to the right. The room was neat, clean and smelled like spring flowers. The window was covered with large gold curtains that went from floor to ceiling. The bathroom, which kind of surprised me because I didn't know they had in the bedrooms, was small but nice. Maybe it was something they added when they turned it into a B&B.

Lexi jumped on the bed kicking her heels off in the process. Climbing under the covers I knew she wasn't going to change into her night clothes. Even though I wanted to do the same I wasn't sleeping in jeans. After finding my clothes I went into the bathroom to change. The room was small with a sink, toilet and a tub. There were all different kinds of bath salts, bubble bath, and body wash which were calling my name. Sleep forgotten I turned the water on adjusting it to a good temp and stripped. When the water was close to the top I climbed in letting the hot water relax my stiff muscles. Sitting in a car for 6 hours straight probably wasn't a good idea. After washing my hair and body I laid back so the water covered my whole body my eyes drifting closed.

A cool breeze caressed my skin making me shiver. Opening my eyes to see I was still in the tub, the water cold, door standing open and lights off. Quickly climbing out and grabbing a towel that was hanging by the sink I closed the door, flipping on the light. Lexi must have opened the door to check on me and didn't close it but she could have woken me up. After getting dressed, brushing my hair and teeth I went into the bedroom to finally get some sleep. Lexi was pretty much dead to the world when I laid down. It was only a matter of minutes before I myself was sound asleep.

The sound of my phone startled me awake as I fumbled for the stupid thing. Knocking it on the floor it finally shut off. I was still too tired to get up and see who called when it started ringing again. Lexi kicked me so I decided to get up and answer the damn thing.

"What" I growled into the phone.

"Don't talk to me like that young lady" my mom said in a stern voice.

"Sorry Mom I was sleeping" I said sitting up to lean against the bed as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. My mom is actually pretty cool, easy going and the owner of her own cleaning company. She started out cleaning offices when she decided to open her own cleaning company for larger companies. Needless to say it was a success and she now has several companies. It is one of the leading office cleaning companies in the U.S.

"It's 3 in the afternoon Riley why are you still in bed" she gasp knowing I never sleep in.

"Because we didn't find a place to stop till almost 5 this morning" I answered through a yawn.

"Why didn't you just pull off the road and rest" leave it to my mother to tell her daughter to stop along a deserted road and sleep.

"Well I didn't really want to get chopped to bits by some crazy guy living in the woods" I said sarcastically.

"Oh Riley you really need to stop watching those movies" Mom laughed.

"Yeah, yeah so I've been told"

"Look the reason I'm calling is because the vacation house caught fire last night and burnt to the ground. The police just called me to let me know, they don't know if it was intentional or an accident but I have to go talk to them"

"Great now what are we going to do?" I groaned getting to my feet heading for the door. No sense in waking Lexi, at least one of us will get some sleep. I was wearing shorts and a tank top so I was dressed enough to go outside.