31:- A Double Rescue

XXXI. A Double Rescue

Madison Shepherd

I opened my eyes slowly and tried to focus. My vision blurred and the face in front of mine doubled. There was a dull ache in my head and I tried to sit up sucked in a breath at the wave of dizziness. The face came into focus. It belonged to a handsome youth, brown skin and thick dreadlocks that hung past his shoulders, held away from his face by a purple bandana.  He was shirtless and dressed only in cut off jeans and sneakers. I noticed he had a perfect body and his face lit up when he lifter a corner of his mouth into a lopsided smile.

“You’re awake. Nice.” There was something very familiar about him, I thought as watched him stand up to walk away to the other side of the room. Actually, warehouse, I realized and wondered in astonishment how I had gotten here. It all began to come back to me then, the events of the day. It seemed my luck had yet to be tested again and it would fail. I mean what were the chances that I would survive a huge car crash one day and get abducted by thugs?

    When I had woken up the next day, my father magnanimously told me that I could stay home. Taralynn, elected to stay with me also and I was sort of grateful for the company. There was an unspoken topic that hung in the air, but she didn’t bring it up and I was grateful for the small gesture. She was hell bent on trying to somehow make up for what she termed her ‘unforgiveable and cursed blunder that had ruined something special’ no matter how many times I had told her that I was completely over it. Angelo had saved my life, and I don’t know why I wanted to know, but I just really need the need to know why. Why he was so desperate to push me away one minute and be willing to throw himself in front of out of control cars the nest. It wasn’t natural by my standards, but then again nothing about him had ever been normal. I was confused with myself, because I felt like I was lying to myself, lying to myself about being completely over him. True, he had told me that he didn’t want anything to do with me, but why did he just keep complicating things by constantly stepping in? Not that I was not thankful for his stepping in, but then, that was what made Angelo, Angelo. He was always stepping in for me, whether it was to save me from myself or Carson or whatever, he would always somehow be there. Which was annoying, I mean, I was trying to move past him, trying to build something with Jasper. Jasper deserved that much from me; he deserved a chance especially after everything that he had done. So you’re doing this to pay him back? Doesn’t that say something to you?! My subconscious screamed at me but I ignored her. It didn’t matter my reasons, all I wanted was to just move on. Angelo must want that too.

    Toward evening, Taralynn because bored and suggested an outing to get me out of the house and get my mind off things. I didn’t object as I really needed the distraction so the girl’s night was planned. We called Avery to accompany us but it turned out she was busy with her newest boyfriend. As we set out, I noticed a yellow Porsche in my rearview mirror. It had been right behind my car the whole way but I paid n attention to it once we reached Macy’s. After buying three pairs of shoes each, jeans and dresses, Taralynn suggested this beach spot that was famous for their barbecue and tacos. I agreed and set out for the place close to Santa Monica Piers, I caught another flash of yellow in my mirror but it was gone quickly and I soon forgot once we reached the beach arty. Taralynn assured that it was a party atmosphere almost every night and suggested we throw caution to the winds and have fun. She ordered hurricanes for the two of us but I only drank half of mine as I was the designated driver.

“Hey,” she giggled and shimmied over to me, “Don’t you think those guys look cute?” she nodded to a group of guys, one had dreads, and a few were on braids and buzz cuts. They were all really buff and actually hot but I was in no mood for company. I simply shrugged, “They’re alright I guess. You’d better slow down with all those hurricanes you’re drinking,” I cautioned.”