34: The End and the New Beginning

34. The End And New beginnings

 Angelo Tallerico

I would not think about her. I would not dwell on the fact that the girl that kept my heart beating was gone. Yeah, I had allowed Madison walk out of my life but then again, why dwell. I had my reasons for being a selfish bastard, and Damien understood them even though he didn't say. She did not belong in my world and it was better that she left. Better for everybody, but mostly for her.

      It was just chance that Zoe decided to send those pictures of herself right at that minute. I didn't know whether to be angry or sad or just to deflect it all. I let her go, I didn't know how I was going to go on without her but I would find a way. I always did. But I just had to let it die out. Never mind the pain in my chest that felt like a white-hot serrated knife was being plunged into my heart and twisted over and over again. I would get over it.

"Hey, Salvadore," I said as we neared Soto's office.

"Yeah?"

"I would appreciate it if you didn't mention any of what went down at the house to Zoe or any of the guys." I said.

He pursed his lips and shook his head, "I have no idea what you're talking about, man."

"Thanks," I said and he nodded. "Well we'd better go see what he wants."

We entered Soto's office. There were about eight of us, his closest soldiers in attendance; I, Damien, Tahj, Quinn, Andres; Sol Maccabee who was Quinn's cousin, Logan Shay and Hector Vaughn. He had requested to see us all concerning his new division.

"Some of you have only been working with me for only a short period of time," Soto was saying, "but in that short period of time, you have proven yourself to be loyal and tenacious." He looked right at me when he said this, "I'm not just looking for brawn, and I'm looking for brain too. I need a new chief. Someone who will be my protégé. I will groom him to someday take my place as Don when I am gone. I don't only think of you as soldiers, but as loyal brothers. I already have someone in mind and I know you all must feel the same way. Angelo Tallerico, will you step forward please?"

"You go man," Damien whispered in my ear.

This was what I had wanted, power, to be recognized. I stepped up to Soto and looked him in the eye.

"I know you," he said, "I know that I can count on you, I know you are intelligent and a born leader, that is why I am asking you if you want to be my son? I will groom you, and you will lead my men. I would not ask this if I did not feel this way about you."

"It's a great honor sir," I said, I smiled and shook my head, "But I can't."

"Fuck that, Tallerico!" Damien said harshly. "You know you're the only one who could be Soto's man."

"Yeah, Angelo, what the hell do you think you're doing?" Quinn questioned me.

"Soto, he's being an idiot," Tahj said, "Everyone knows Tallerico should be Second Chief."