33 : Dreams to Dust

33. Dreams To Dust

Madison Shepherd

I wasn't sure what woke me up initially, but I realized that Angelo wasn't in bed. My ears worked as thy caught a faint melody in the night. Pulling a sheet around me, I got up from the bed and left his room. The music was coming from the hallway where I found him by the window sill, violin under his chin, eyes closed, and his hands moving with impossible speed and precision on the strings as he played the melancholy tune that seemed so complicated it seemed difficult to believe that it was only one set of hands playing them. The music reached a pause and changed off to another tune at the bridge. He looked so ethereal, his body in the moonlight with the sad music streaming in.

"That was beautiful," I said, unable to keep silent anymore.

The music stopped much to my dismay and he looked up at me, setting his violin down. "You should be in bed by now," he admonished softly.

"I couldn't sleep."

"I hope I didn't disturb you," I said coming to his front.

He shook his head, taking my wrist and pulling me into his lap, "You didn't disturb me. I was actually inspired by you. Been a really long time since I played."

"That was a really beautiful piece. Vivaldi?"

"Actually it's a violin transcription of Gabriel Fauré's Après un rêve."

"How long have you been playing?"

"Since I was four. Father Lucas taught me."

My heart melts as I imagine Angelo as a dark eyed taciturn child who loves melancholy music, sitting in the alcove of his church paying his violin. I linked my arm around his neck and said, "Well it was beautiful."

"I wouldn't use that in comparison, not with you standing here," he smiled and picked me up. "And you, my sweet, should be back in bed. I kept you up really late last night." He walked back to the bedroom with me in his arms and paused at the foot of the bed. There was a red blot stain in the middle, evidence of my lost virginity.

"Well, that's going to give Damien something to laugh about," he murmured and looked at my face which was now aflame. "Hey, hey, hey," he said softly, "No need to be shy with me, darling. Remember, it's the two of us in this game, yes?"

I nodded against his shoulder as he sat me down and went to his wardrobe. He came out with a white pull over and handed it over to me. I put on the shirt and quickly got into bed. He got in after me and pulled me into his embrace.

"No regrets?" he whispered in my ear.

I shook my head and snuggled closer into his body, "never."

He kissed my ear once. "Sleep sweet, Madison."