5 - Big Reveal

• Dedicated to Jennifer Nwankwo

V.  Big reveal

Madison Shepherd

  I was grateful for Taralynn's party on Friday night. The noise and loud music was the perfect distraction I needed from all the drama that I had been dealing with. I wore a white halter dress and paired them off with silver heels. I spotted Avery laughing by the punch bowl with some seniors. "Hey, nice outfit," I commented to her.

"Thanks honey," she smiled at me, "You don't look half bad yourself."

"Where is Tara anyway?" I asked looking around.

"Getting some champagne," Avery answered. "You want a drink? I'm gonna get one."

"Yeah," I nodded, "thanks." She skipped off and I waited patiently for her. I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and heard Tyler Wright's drunken voice in my ear.

"Hey-y baby. You are looking mighty fine tonight," he slurred in my ear. "Did'ja put that sexy number on for me tonight?"

Eww , I thought in disgust as I struggled to free myself from his grip. "Tyler let go!" I ordered imperious.

"Come on honey," he laughed loudly. "I heard you're single. About time too."

"In your dreams Wright!" I growled. Tyler Wright was tolerant when he was sober but he turned into an ogre when intoxicated. Added to that he had the habit of getting his victims who were usually unsuspecting freshmen girls drunk. Last year when the rumor that Tyler was being treated for chlamydia started floating around school, I began watching my steps even more carefully around him.

"You know you want it," he leered .

"No, I really don't," I said filled with irritation. I elbowed him in the ribs sharply and he released me immediately.

"Damn it Madison!" he hissed out a colorful expletive and slunk away.

"I see you haven't changed much," I turned around to find Ricky Rivers grinning down at me. Ricky was 20 and I had once had a school girl crush on him but I had quickly learnt that beneath those exotic Hispanic looks and charm lay a heartless player.

"So a little birdie teller me you're single," he remarked casually.

"Aren't you a little old to be listening to high school gossip?" I teased.

He shrugged, "Whatever mamacita. Can I get you a drink?"

"And then what?" I asked amused, "we start talking and then you tell me I have the most beautiful eyes?

He looked perplexed then asked loudly, "Hey who told you that?"

"Give it up, Ricky," I laughed as I took a red plastic cup, "I'm over the school girl crush." His jaw dropped in surprise and I winked before going into the kitchen.