Stay : Chapter 6 (Home)

Chapter 6 : Home

After Tim and his dad, Kim, calmed down, they led me to where Angel is. Her whole body is covered with bandage, and her arm has a cast on it.

"When I found her, she was lying at the pavement unconscious." Tim said.

"You can't move her with her condition right now, so you have to leave her here for a week, so I can also check her condition." Kim said. He insisted to just call him Kim without the Mr.

"1 week?!?" I said too loudly. That will be too hard. I think I depended on Angel too much.

"Why? Is there a problem?" Kim asked.

"Well, you see she's my guide dog. And I really need her in school and at my work. Can't I take her home sooner?"

"That's not a problem; you can use Hiro, since this is his fault." Tim said brightly.

I know that Hiro will squirm so I beat him to that. "Actually it's fine, I'll just buy a new cane."

"That will be hard, but we'll just call you when Angel is ready, what's your cell number?" Kim asked.

"I don't have one" I said with a small voice. I can't afford to buy one. My salary at the library is just enough for my cab fares and food.

Tim must have felt my embarrassment so he asked in a light tone "How about your number at your home?"

"I also don't have one." I said almost a whisper. But everyone heard me.

"Don't worry, she's a bat, she can hear you from afar." Hiro said. I frowned.

"Well, we'll just contact Hiro and he'll just tell you when Angel's ready." Tim said, ignoring Hiro.

"Can't I just come here every other day? If that's fine with you." I said, silently praying that they'll be fine with it.

"Sure, I think that's a good idea." Kim said from the Kitchen.

"My shift at my work will end at seven, so I think I'll be here at seven-thirty. Is that fine with you?" I asked.

"No problem. But that will be dangerous, it's too late when you go back home. Are you sure you want to do it?" Tim asked with a worried voice.

I thought about it again. The cab will be expensive. If I take a cab every other day, I can't buy a cane. But Angel needed me. "Yes, I'll just see you on Saturday. I'm free at work at that day so can I come at 10?"

"That's a little early, can't you come at 12?" Tim said.

"Oh, yes, of course. I'll be here at 12. Thank you so much for your help."

After a few minutes I checked my watch. It's already 6:27, Hiro will be late for his date.

"I think we should go now," I said.

"Don't you want to stay for dinner? The food is almost ready." Kim said from the kitchen. I can already smell the barbecue, and I'm really hungry. I guess I'll stay.

"Uhmm... sure." I said. I feel embarrassed but I'm really hungry.

"Sure? I told you I have a date at seven! Let's go." Hiro said whispered to me pissed.

"You can leave me here; I can take a cab home you know!" I also whispered.

"What are you whispering at? You two looked like a couple like that." Tim said teasingly.

After what he said, I just realized that Hiro's too close that I can feel his breathe in my face. I quickly move my face far from him. Hiro coughed then grabbed my arm and forced me to stand up.