:Dusk Until Dawn: [Chapter: 1] //A Vampire Romance//

Start from the beginning

My mother is a very famous fashion designer and lives in New York. Such city life, my mother thought, wasn't very good for a young girl like me. Hence, I was sent to live with my older brother in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, home of harsh winters and heated summers, not to mention the constant wind and or rain.

Will, my older brother, is a detective. Ironically, the reason my mother sent me here in the first place was the secret we were keeping from her. Will was barely ever home, at age twenty-six he was full of energy and almost always had excessive amounts of cases assigned to him. I spent most of my time either by myself around the house, or hanging out with my friends.

Dustin grabbed the bowl of egg yolks from my hand and began to mix them, while pouring milk into the bowl.

Dustin, my neighbor and my best friend, was my first friend when I had first moved here. Now, he's always over, and hanging out with me, especially during the summer when I refuse to go swimming with other friends, using the excuse of, "Sorry, I can't swim." which was actually true. So he kept denying their invitations too and hanging out with me instead.

Dustin got a lot of attention from the girls at school, not that I could blame them. He was fairly attractive, with messy blonde hair and blue eyes, (not un-common for people with blonde hair), while standing at 5'8". He seemed skinny, but definitely had muscles. They are very evident if he is wearing a T-shirt.

"Maddie," the calling of my name startled me and pulled me from my reverie. I looked towards Dustin. He handed me the bowl of eggs. "Want me to start the bacon?"

"Yeah," I replied while pouring the eggs onto the frying pan I had out on the stove and reaching for a spatula. Sizzling sounds filled the air as I stirred the yellow guck around the pan. 

"School starts in a week," Dustin reminded me while putting a pan on the stovetop next to mine, with bacon in it. He turned the knob and the blue flame began to beat on the bottom of it, heating it up.

"Ugh, don't remind me," I groaned and flinched my hand back as hot bacon grease jumped out of the pan and landed on my hand. 

"Sorry," Dustin apologized with a faint smile as he adjusted the bacon. I shrugged. 

The eggs began to form into something solid, so I scraped them from the pan and onto three plates. I assumed Dustin was also going to eat breakfast with my brother and I. He placed the bacon evenly upon the plates and we brought them over to the table with forks. I swiped the salt and pepper off the counter and placed the alongside the plates. 

"Something smells nice," my brother's voice commented and he momentarily appeared in the doorway.

"Just in time," Dustin and I remarked simultaneously as we sat down in front of our own plates of food. I picked up my fork and began to poke at my eggs.

"Dustin?" Will asked sounding surprised. "You're here already?"

"Yes, apparently I am," Dustin responded as he grinned at Will. Will grinned back and punched Dustin in the shoulder.

"Don't be a wise ass," he replied while shaking his head. I grinned. Dustin and Will got along just as I did with my brother. It is probably because Dustin is always hanging around at our house, even when I wasn't there. But I guessed they had a more guy-guy type of connection.

"What're you two planning to do today?" Will asked as he settled into his own chair and began to eat his bacon.

"Read," I answered truthfully. He always wanted me to get out of the house during the summer, so sometimes I said things like I was going to the movies or something when I would really sit in front of the air conditioner in my room and read, play video games or do inside stuff like that.