:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Twenty-Seven

The next few days rolled by without incident. I hadn’t seen that silver haired young man since the bowling ally and he was slowly easing out of my mind. Every now and again a random thought about him would pop up, but I’d shrug it away. It was weird he knew my name, but a lot of students at my school I didn’t know knew my name. It could’ve been one of them. When I walked the halls now I kept an eye open for the smoky eyed man.

Vincent, while not being quite the social butterfly, started being a little friendlier with my friends. Well, Alli and Leah at least. There was still some unspoken tension between him and Kai— which I didn’t understand. Unless Vincent thought Kai had a crush on me, or something. That was possible. Kai could be over friendly. And it was cute to think Vincent was jealous of him.

When Friday arrived again, my friends and I were planning out what we were going to do that night. To nobody’s surprise, Vincent was skulking in the corner while Kai did most of the planning. I personally didn’t care what we did as long as we went out. My brother had to stay home, so I didn’t want to subject Vincent to that. They still didn’t get along at all.

“I say bowling,” Leah suggested, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. “We should keep up the custom.”

Kai shook his head vehemently. “No, we did that last week. I say we go to the movies.”

“Or the carnival,” Alli suggested, cupping her elbow with her hand.

Leah gave her a crazy look. “There’s no carnival.”

“Yes there is,” she disagreed, shaking her head. “In the mall parking lot. I passed it yesterday and it wouldn’t only be opened on a Thursday and not a Friday, Leah.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

“I’m up for a carnival,” Kai said, a grin slipping onto his face. “How about you, Vivi?”

“I’m not going.”

I whirled around to stare at him. “What? But I want to go!”

Kai narrowed his eyes at me. “What does him not going have to do with you?”

“He, um—”

“It doesn’t. She can go.”

My eyes widened in surprise. “What? Really?”

Vincent shrugged. “Go for it. I have plans for tonight.”

“You do?”

“Yeah, with a pretty lady.”

Alli nudged him in the side with her elbow. “Eh? What’s this? I-Hate-The-World Vincent has a date?”

He shoved her away lightly, which to her, was roughly. “Shut up.”

“You have a date?” I repeated, an unusual tightness in my chest forming. Was that jealousy? Did he even know any girls to date? He never left my side throughout the school day, nor did he ever go out at night.

“Yes,” he stated, his sapphire eyes piercing into mine. “You don’t know her,” he emphasized.

Kai gave him a slap on the back. “Good going, Vincent!”

“Touch me again and I will break your fingers.”

Normally I would scold him for his words, but I was still in shock. Why would Vincent be going out on a date? He said he liked me! He even knew I liked him too, so why would he say yes to a date with someone? Unless he was the one to ask the girl… “You can’t go,” I blurted out.