:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Thirty-Three

If it was possible to drown in dresses, I would’ve been dead five minutes ago. Every five seconds Fiona threw a new one at me, adding onto the mound that had been past my head about a half an hour ago. It was like her closet was endless! How did she fit so many dresses in it in the first place? Magic?

“Oh! Em! Try on that last one I threw you!”

Withholding a groan, I managed to force all of the dresses off of me so I could stand up. The bright light caused me to squint for a moment, but my eyes swiftly adjusted and I picked a random dress off the floor. Maybe Fiona wouldn’t notice I didn’t know what dress was the last one she’d thrown out. The dress I picked up was white, almost like a wedding gown. Grimacing, I tossed it to the side, snatching up another one just as Fiona popped her head out of her closet.

“Is it on?”

“I’m not a quick change artist.”

“Do you need help?”

I shook my head, glancing at the dress in my hands. This one wasn’t as bad as the last. It was a deep green… but really short. “I don’t want to try it on, actually.”

She pouted. “Why? That’s one of my favorites.”

“It, er, doesn’t match my eyes?” I asked, more than stated.

For a moment she studied my face, squinting at me. “Yeah, you’re right,” she agreed finally. “Let’s find something else.”

“But I’m hungry—”

“Well you’ll just have to stop being so picky if you want something to eat,” she retorted, disappearing into her closet in the blink of an eye. “You can’t wear rags to the ball, Emily.”

Mimicking her under my breath, I bent down and seized an armful of dresses from the floor and threw them onto the bed. In my excitement of being able to go the ball, I’d forgotten about the part about wearing a dress. This whole trying-stuff-on bit got boring quickly. But I really did need something formal to wear.

“How about black and yellow?” Fiona called.

“No way.”

“Light green?”

“Nah.”

“Short and black?”

“No.”

“Plain yellow?”

“No, Fiona.”

My eyes skimmed over the mountain of dresses on the floor, skipping over every color that I either didn’t like, or didn’t look good in. Blue was the color I wanted. Fiona seemed to have a lack of blue gowns though— probably because it didn’t match her features too well.

God, Emily! Can’t you just try on some?” Fiona demanded, appearing in front of me again.

My heart nearly failed. Breathing deeply, I put a hand to my chest. “Fiona, don’t just appear in front of me like that.”

“Try some on!”

“Fine, fine!” I muttered, bending down to grab a random dress.

“No, this one,” she insisted, thrusting an extremely poofy, green dress into my chest. “I think it’ll look good on you!”

I stared at her flatly. “Absolutely not.”

“Just try it on!” she urged.

“Okay, but go back in the closet,” I ordered, reluctantly taking the dress from her. “Keep looking.”